277 Fury Remington 700

timmymic

Would a Remington 700 hold up to the pressure of the 277 fury? I have a 22-250 I want to rechamber to a 16 inch hunting rifle. This cartridge looks like a good candidate and after seeing they already have reamers out for it was hoping it would work with a 700 short action without blowing it apart.

It should have no problem. The fury is designed to run in AR10 platform rifles that cannot handle anything close to the pressure of a bolt action. The steel case head is the key to the fury running at higher pressures. The fury's States max pressure is 80,000 psi. If you compare that to the wsm cartridges with a max pressure of 65,000 psi you are looking at a 19% increase in pressure. What happens when you run a standard cartridge over pressure? The case head shows the signs, ejector swipe, loose primer pockets, expanded web, etc. the brass is the weak link in the system not the action. Sig used a steel case head to run those higher pressures and not be limited by the brass.

It should have no problem. The fury is designed to run in AR10 platform rifles that cannot handle anything close to the pressure of a bolt action. The steel case head is the key to the fury running at higher pressures. The fury's States max pressure is 80,000 psi. If you compare that to the wsm cartridges with a max pressure of 65,000 psi you are looking at a 19% increase in pressure. What happens when you run a standard cartridge over pressure? The case head shows the signs, ejector swipe, loose primer pockets, expanded web, etc. the brass is the weak link in the system not the action. Sig used a steel case head to run those higher pressures and not be limited by the brass.
Thats a logical answer thank you! I emailed Remington as well hoping to get something back from them!

can you get the steel case to reload yet? i didn't know it was released yet-- I know you can get the full brass casings though ( https://www.rccbrass.com/product/277-fury/ ), but the steel base specialty brass that can withstand the 80000 psi is'nt available yet iirc

you are probably better off contacting sig as its "their" round and not Remington's , but then again, sig may not answer you about someone else's platform since they have their own--I'm guessing you are going to get lawyer type of answers

Hi
I was about to ask the very same question so used the search function and found this thread.

The way i see it is that barrel takes any lateral pressure. It is the bolt thrust that will stress the action. Does this sound about right?

I cant find a case drawing but presume it has minimum case taper to negate bolt thrust issues.

Will be interested to read any further thoughts on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts