277 caliber for hog or deer

6.8SPC (.277) with 110 accubond and 110 vmax has been my go to on hogs for last 18 yrs, now over 3000 dead hogs. The most efficient cartridge I've seen. Half the powder charge of 270 and no recoil. Used 260, 308, 6.5prc, and most other standard calibers, with good results, just not the kill shots like 6.8. Get an AR15, 16"-18" barrel and stack em up. Kills out to 450 yds with both IR and Thermal using 6.8.

Got a 270 Weatherby late last season I have never killed anything with it or that caliber just curious what would be a good weight . To use for hog/deer bullet and with a Lil luck possibly elk
At one time I raised pigs. When butchering time came I would pull a different caliber out of the safe to see how it performed. These pigs were over 600 lbs each. I found my .270win loaded with 51.4 gr of H4350 with 130gr partitions or 140's or 150's did the job very efficiently. A shot behind the ear at around 50 yards ended things quickly. I started with a .270Weatherby and found that I was only gaining 5 to 7 % increase in performance over my .270win and burning alot more powder per shot. I had my Cooper 270Weatherby re barrelled to .270win and am happy with the downsize. Both have taken white tails at 600+ yards without any shortcomings.

How are the ttsx and lr . While I have not tried the LRX's, I have shot quite a few deer and antelope with the 110 gr. TTSX out of my standard 270 with great results. I found that the 130's are a bit stiff for deer size game, but worked very well on the 2 elk that I shot with them. My favorite all around use bullet in the 277 bore is the Nosler 150 gr. Partition. I should note this bullet performs nearly identical to the 130 gr. TTSX.

When I ad my 270win the best load m'as wtih 150gr nosler partition, theyr will be blood trail.
Have use corlock ultra but didnt like the result.

If you can find speer bstp bullet that what I use now up to 600yrds

Here's a 500-550 lb nilgai shot at 480 yds with the 117 Hammer Hunter at 480yds through both shoulders and a complete pass through DRT.
As there are many good options, I'll elaborate on my experience. I bought my first 370 Weatherby 1987 or 88 and started loading for it in 1992. I shot more deer in those first 5 years than I can admit with factory 100gr partitions and not one ever took a step. It was topped with a Simmons 44mag scope and the furthest shot was in the 300 yd range (pre range finder time). In 1992 I started loading for it using Combined Technology Parton Golds in 150gr and loved them as a swapped the scope to a VX3 6.5-20 and bought my first rangefinder (Bushnell). Combined Technology bullets were discontinued and switched to 140gr Accubounds and had great success on elk (longest shot 690) double lung took 5 or 6 steps and was dead. Then in Texas, shooting a doe dead broadside on a feeder at 120 on video, perfect heart shot that exited straight up through her spine. For whatever reason, I considered that a bullet failure and immediately switched one to 130gr Barnes TSX. For several years with 100% successful results on deer and elk and loved them until I saw folks on this forum talking about Hammers and thought I'd give them a try with the hopes of squeezing a little more accuracy out of my beloved 270 Weatherby and holy cow I was impressed. Now for every rifle I own and for a couple of dozen buddies I load for hunting, it's all Hammers now for over three years. I have no idea now how many animals have been shot with them, but I'll say unequivocally there hasn't been a single failure yet.
Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your 270 Weatherby as much as I've enjoyed mine. Here's a pic of the old Combined Technology bullets and a pic of the old girl with her new tube.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 81
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 76
One of my best friends in the whole world shoots a 270 weatherby. He almost exclusively shoots 140 game changers out of it..he has killed a mound of stuff. I have seen first hand. It is a devastating caliber…I love it—just like my 257 weatherby…fast, fast, 25 caliber recoili with 30 cal type effect on game.

Ed

Got a 270 Weatherby late last season I have never killed anything with it or that caliber just curious what would be a good weight . To use for hog/deer bullet and with a Lil luck possibly elk
I've owned two Weatherbys, a 240 WM and 257 WM, I would recommend any ammo you can actually get your hands on, it's hard to find and expensive.

I am loading 124 HH in my plain jane 270 Win. Haven't shed any blood but my expectation is that they will be very very effective and fast and accurate to go along with the first part!!!

I will say that being from South East Texas, I have killed many hogs with many weapons. .223 62 gr soft point at about 150 yds out of a Rock River AR, earholed DRT, 300 BO suppressed with thermal, 6.5-284 130 AB with an illuminated Vortex Viper, so dark I couldn't see the hog in the scope until I turned on the illumination, game changer, and a whole bunch more. Hogs aren't really hard to kill with good rifles and bullets..

Last edited: