277 170 berger elites

Trm82

Has any body tried these bullets in 1o twist ? I know they require a quicker twist but thought may be my 270 wby might pull it off .

On a somewhat related note:
I wonder what weight the 270 would be at if they were to figure out the maximum that would stabilize in a 10" twist. Maybe their 150 is it, but how do we know?

I understand how to use the calculator. What isn't known (at least to me) is by adding bullet weight, you're also adding length which is an important part of the equation. I could easily add 5 grains at a time to the 150 VLD, but it wouldn't technically be correct because that bullet would be growing in length at a rate that isn't readily known.

I thought you were looking for the heaviest bullet that Berger has that would fully stabilize in a 10" twist. Their calc will give recommendations of bullets that will be fully stable.

If you are just working the calculator thinking of a theoretical bullet then it is a bit tougher. We use the calculator when we design bullets but we have a pretty good idea how much weight will be added as we add length. Plus we get a design done then try it and see how it came out and make adjustments.

JBM has a twist calc that you have more control over specific inputs.

Steve

Has any body tried these bullets in 1o twist ? I know they require a quicker twist but thought may be my 270 wby might pull it off .

I have a 270Wby...

The problem for "having fun" with the 170 Berger is that it is a very long bullet. With the 270 Wby (if you have a Mark V action) the max mag length is about 3.4".

I am shooting the 170 Bergers @ 3.54" COAL with an aftermarket action, @ 3225fps, 28" barrel, 1-9 twist.

So...with a stock Weatherby Mark V, 26", 1-10 twist barrel...I would suck up the shipping costs and order several boxes of the Matrix 165s. Loading the Matrix 165 to 3.4" COAL puts you at about .08" off the lands. I will have to check my notes...but the 170 Berger is .3" (yes .3") off the lands at 3.54 COAL.

Main thing is that the 165 Matrix is a shorter bullet and easier to stabilize...buy some RL26 and have fun.

What altitude do you do most of your shooting? Altitude and temp has a huge impact on your stability...however, I have heard that people are stabilizing the 165 Matrix out of 1-10 twist... 270 Win...

BTW...I almost exclusively shoot 170 EOLs out of my 270 Wby.

I have a 270Wby...

The problem for "having fun" with the 170 Berger is that it is a very long bullet. With the 270 Wby (if you have a Mark V action) the max mag length is about 3.4".

I am shooting the 170 Bergers @ 3.54" COAL with an aftermarket action, @ 3225fps, 28" barrel, 1-9 twist.

So...with a stock Weatherby Mark V, 26", 1-10 twist barrel...I would suck up the shipping costs and order several boxes of the Matrix 165s. Loading the Matrix 165 to 3.4" COAL puts you at about .08" off the lands. I will have to check my notes...but the 170 Berger is .3" (yes .3") off the lands at 3.54 COAL.

Main thing is that the 165 Matrix is a shorter bullet and easier to stabilize...buy some RL26 and have fun.

What altitude do you do most of your shooting? Altitude and temp has a huge impact on your stability...however, I have heard that people are stabilizing the 165 Matrix out of 1-10 twist... 270 Win...

BTW...I almost exclusively shoot 170 EOLs out of my 270 Wby.
My 270 is a Mcwhorter and it has a extended mag box, right now I'm shooting the berger 140 classic hunters at 3.457" , I should be able to touch with the 170 eol and still have room in the mag box.
I do all my hunting at 2400-2700ft.

My 270 is a Mcwhorter and it has a extended mag box, right now I'm shooting the berger 140 classic hunters at 3.457" , I should be able to touch with the 170 eol and still have room in the mag box.

Just running your altitudes (2400-2700) through our twist rate calculator with the .270 170gr EOL and leaving the defaults of 2650fps , 1-10 twist rate at 59 degrees. Gives a Stability Factor ( SG) in the 1.23-1.24 range. This means that the BC of the bullet would be compromised by 8-9%. So instead of the full BC (G7) of 0.339 it would now be 0.313. A 1-9 barrel twist rate would be optimal where you hunt. What it does NOT MEAN is that the bullet would be unstable. From 0-600 yards you would see vary little difference in condition effects such as wind on the bullet from if it were at its full BC value. From 600 yards on out till the bullet hits the dirt you would see more effects on the bullet by external conditions such as wind on the bullet than if you were at full BC. you can run the numbers on the BALLISTICS CALCULATOR :http://bergerbullets.com/ballistics/ to find just how much that would be.
The .270 170gr EOL bullet is a HYBRID bullet design that is very tolerant of jump. If you will be doing any bullet seating depth testing. I suggest that you start at .015 OFF THE LANDS. Then WORK BACK INTO THE CARTRIDGE CASE IN .005 INCREMENTS. Any bullet seating depth testing should be done at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge combination you are testing. If you need load data please contact us at 660-460-2802 from 8am to 4:30pm EASTERN time MON thru FRI and we will be glad to help you with that or any other questions you have.

Do you have a shorter throat than the "standard" 270 Wby throat? I believe that I touch the lands with the 170 Berger @ about 3.8" COAL...the bullet is not (barely) in the case.

I jump .3" without any problems...Barefooter56 is absolutely correct about the 170's being "very tolerant of jump"...

Do you have a shorter throat than the "standard" 270 Wby throat? I believe that I touch the lands with the 170 Berger @ about 3.8" COAL...the bullet is not (barely) in the case.

I jump .3" without any problems...Barefooter56 is absolutely correct about the 170's being "very tolerant of jump"...
BTW, Bullets.com still has them for <$30 and Norma brass close out too.

3700 pc should be enough for two or three barrels, I'm tired of buying "em!

BTW, Bullets.com still has them for <$30 and Norma brass close out too.

3700 pc should be enough for two or three barrels, I'm tired of buying "em!
Yup. I don't even have a .270 anything and I just went and bought 4 boxes of those because they were suck a killer deal lol!!! So.....I guess I'll be building a .270 Sherman or SS in the future....ha ha!!! This is quite an addiction.....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.