.277 140 Gr. Accubond bullets - different lengths

Westdreamer

While loading for my daughters Tikka 270 WSM I was making the OAL close to the magazine length. When I made my next batch of ammo for her using the same Base to Ogive length, the finished rounds wouldn't fit in the magazine. After the first six rounds were made I had to open a new box of .277 140 Gr. Accubonds to finish the lot of 50, but what I didn't realize was that the new box of accubonds had an overall bullet length that was about .030" longer, the extra length being from the ogive to the end of the polymer tip.
Is this normal or acceptable deviation? Has anyone else seen this?

Have had the same issue with Nosler bullets over the years.
Worst time was with 30 cal 180gr BT's back in the early 90's when Stevens/Leupold had major ownership. Loaded up 50 and headed out to find they wouldn't fit the magazine, too long, had to hunt with the rifle as a single shot for the weekend. Luckily the 2 deer I harvested only needed a single round each to dispatch.
It's common when either the jacket material or core metal weights are off.

Cheers.

Have seen 6.5 Berger vld-h oals run .060 or more from lot to lot in the past. With bto .015 off.
Past few years they seem closer. Nosler BTs and Accubond have always run way better but oals of .015 are not uncommon.
Most of my actions are long so length has not been a problem but switching lots often requires some additional tuning.

I have noticed a huge difference when switching brands and certainly with switching size (130 - 140 - 156). If I loaded them all based on my sweet spot I found with say 140's to say 156's, the 156's won't fit in the mag. Tip to Ogive has huge variations making your actual load length vary a ton. How do others deal with this? Just shoot 1 or 2 size of bullets?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.