2751 yard testing of the LRKM

Shawn Carlock

Sponsor
DSCN0444.jpg

Setting up for the 2751 yard shot.

Finally got out in good conditions to test the LRKM at extreme range today and shoot some Send It Volume 4 footage. My dad and I drove out to one of our favorite long range spots to test 2000+ yard shooting with the LRKM and 300 gr Berger Hybrid bullets.
We setup the portable bench and our assorted pile of gear to shoot long range and get film of it. The longest shots of the day were taken at 2751 yards. The conditions were:
68 deg
26.3 bar
3900'
78%
12.6 degrees uphill

I have been playing with the bullet flite program for extended ranges because of its applied effects like spindrift and coriolis effect. I looked at my shot I was sitting at 3900' and shooting up to just over 6000' I took the estimated std pressure at altitude for 6000' and split the difference between the station pressure for 3900 where I was. I used 25.5 for station pressure and dialed up the program with the above info, it gave me 104.25 moa up and 1.5 moa right wind for .5 mph. I dialed in 94.5 moa and held 10 moa in the reticule. My first shot was high by 2.00 moa and spot on for windage. I dialed down 2.00 moa and sent the next round, I waited for the nearly 5 seconds that the bullet was in flight to see the impact almost dead center of the target rock. I loaded a second round and sent it , it impacted the rock centered for windage but .75 moa higher than the first round. Hoping for a 3 shot sub moa group I sent the 3rd round only to see it impact level for elevation but right 1.5 moa from the others. You almost can't shoot fast enough to get a group in these conditions at that extended distance, I tried later only to get a repeat performance with the first two and have the 3rd go left in windage. I am sure if the conditions would not change for just 1 full minute that it is perfectly possible to shoot sub moa at these distances. An interesting side note while I had engaged the spindrift and coriolis functions I had failed to enter a new heading for it to work with. The default setting was 300 deg we were shooting 46-47 degrees. At this extended distance this changed the predicted results to 102.50 moa up. That folks is .25 moa from my corrected elevation for hits, quite impressive. It is possible to get first round hits at these distances on moa sized targets (not easy, but possible).

DSCN0448.jpg

Shooting for the rocks on the right of center in the snow at 2751 yards.

Way to go Shawn!! very impressive. Is that the spot where we first shot the 300 Bergers to 2300+ yards. Looks like it only a little more snow. Cool cool man!!!

Thanks for posting.

Jeff

This is great stuff!! Is it your common practice to split the difference on the station pressure like you did for the elevation differences? I shoot in central ID and get some very steep angles. 1500-2000' elevation changes are very realistic and I have oftened wondered about the difference in station pressure from shot location to target.

Thanks for posting, 1.5 MOA is amazing at that distance and velocity
even with no wind. That +P just keeps sounding better and better:D

We have played with long range baro issues and found this to be the best way to work it. Again it is somewhat like the wind, it comes down to your best guess, but is still better than not looking at it at all.

Brass life on the +P is around 6-7 loads.

Simply amazing Shawn!!! I have just started using the Kestrel/Bulletflight combo myself and am quite impressed! I have only tested out to 800yds. with it so far but it is dead nuts on! The heading input is easy to over look but your right, it makes a difference. I have all your videos and do take an interest in the equipment you use so it's nice to see we are liking the same program. Feel free to include an updated gear list in your next video. Thanks for all you do for the shooting community! I'm not ready for the LRKM yet but it's on the wish list for sure!!!

We have played with long range baro issues and found this to be the best way to work it. Again it is somewhat like the wind, it comes down to your best guess, but is still better than not looking at it at all.

Brass life on the +P is around 6-7 loads.

Some very interesting reasoning on baro pressure how consistant are you finding bullet flight under subsonic with the 300 OTM Berger?
Also how many steps you are finding you need in your BC out to 2751 yards pushing the Berger at 3137fps?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.