275 h&h

cwhuntsalot

In the heart of the Giant Redwoods, Gods country-N
Friends, I am considering building a M70 in 275 H&H simply because I have 4 7mm mags in the safe. My issue with it so far is Midway shows bullets for it are .288 and Ammoguide shows the neck as .284. Elk Ridge chamber reamers lists it in the .284 group, and they donot have a .288 group. I most likely will do a barrel set-back however, I have a M70 DBM and if I decide to build on that one I will definitely re-barrel.
Any input will be greately appreciated

Thanx Curtis

Unless I am terribly mistaken, the original .275 H & H was nothing more than the 7mm Mauser.

If you are referring to necking-down the .375 Mag's neck to 7mm, the 7mm STW is the same thing, with the shoulder blown out to maximize powder capacity.

Unless I am terribly mistaken, the original .275 H & H was nothing more than the 7mm Mauser.

If you are referring to necking-down the .375 Mag's neck to 7mm, the 7mm STW is the same thing, with the shoulder blown out to maximize powder capacity.

I think your thinking of the 275 rigby, same cartridge as 7x57 mauser. I've read the English were trying to disassociate from the HUNS w/the great war kinda not leaving a favorable feeling towards germans.

Or a 8mm necked down & more commonly used, I believe.

Back to O.P. curious why 275 H&H mag? Just something different or is there a gain in throat life or other?

Gene

The first Belted magnum in 7mm cal was the 275 H&H. It came about in 1910 for the crown prince of Bhopal. Where that is I don't know. The first belted case was the .400/375 H&H belted express derived from Henery Holland's British pat. # 27,912 Dec 4,1904. The second belted case was the .275 H&H. You have picked a great round! You can take that from me. My last name is Holland. gun)

I own a .275 H&H. It was my dads rifle and he had it built for him shortly after WW2. He was a guide and outfitter in the Boulder Basin/Boulder Rim country of northwest Wyoming. He had previously owned many different rifles of many different calibers, from a 30WCF to a .375 H&H. When we relocated from Casper to Denver in the late 60s, he had about a dozen elk and many deer in the B&C record books. He probably killed the last legally taken grizzly bear in the state, and almost all of these animals and countless pronghorns and others with his treasured .275. He told me and many others that "it was the killinest thing I have ever held in my hands".

I am trying to find any recent reloading data for this cartridge, but did want to chime in on the cases. Dad made his cases from the 300 H&H cases, not the 375s. Given the effort that it takes even in modern presses to neck down the 300 H&H cases without ruining them, I can't imagine using 375s. Additionally, I think the .288 caliber bullets that were mentioned might be a misprint or something like it. The 275 uses the same .284 diameter bullets that the 7mm Remington uses.

The 275 H&H actually uses a different projectile diameter to the 7mm Rem etc , Woodleigh Bullets in Australia actually make the correct size projectiles .287 not .284 . I wonder if this is only applicable to original H&H rifles as to other manufacturers chambers such as a custom rifle . I would also imagine that neck sizing dies could be a problem with projectiles having an interference fit when loaded

Hope someone sees this, I have a custom build 275 H&H I picked up some years ago. It has an older FN Mauser action with the barrel being stamped 275 H&H. I have some factory original 275 ammo, but it will not chamber. At some point in time did people start using the 284 bullets in leu of the hard to find 287?? ones