270wsm vs 7 rem mag

It's because your barrel is fast and likely over pressure, a 28 Nosler or a 7 RUM will max out at the velocities your running. A 7-300 win is maxing out with the best brass. Reality and what your see loading dozens of them.

Historically Brux barrels have been a touch on the slower side for me. I don't know what you consider over pressure. I consider sticky bolt lift and ejector swipes to be signs of pressure limits. In this load I have neither. Once again, the right combination of components will improve your velocities tremendously.
RL26
Win brass
FGMM 215s

Those are the components I use. If you would like I could break down why I use them.

Historically Brux barrels have been a touch on the slower side for me. I don't know what you consider over pressure. I consider sticky bolt lift and ejector swipes to be signs of pressure limits. In this load I have neither. Once again, the right combination of components will improve your velocities tremendously.
RL26
Win brass
FGMM 215s

Those are the components I use. If you would like I could break down why I use them.
Rl-26 is what I used until it fell off the face of the earth

Yeah 3050 with a 180 in a 7RM should be a piece of cake.

I'm shooting 180 ELDMs 3000 fps in my 7-300 wsm, ironically I'm using 270 wsm brass.. talk about fixing it:)

What really raises my eyebrows is 3100 with 170's from the 270 wsm.. I couldn't get that with 150's when I had mine

Might be achievable but barrel life would be short for sure..
A 270 SS will run a 170 up to 3100' with a 26 " barrel.

Yeah 3050 with a 180 in a 7RM should be a piece of cake.

I'm shooting 180 ELDMs 3000 fps in my 7-300 wsm, ironically I'm using 270 wsm brass.. talk about fixing it:)

What really raises my eyebrows is 3100 with 170's from the 270 wsm.. I couldn't get that with 150's when I had mine

Might be achievable but barrel life would be short for sure..
I run 150's at 3200-3250 for in 270 WSMs, every one, barrel life is about 1400 rounds then I see a slow down then I've ran some with accuracy still to 1800 and pulled them. Barrel life is no different than the 7 mag!

70 gr of retumbo drop tubed 26 inch barrel, started this load with my first one which was a factory Savage and used it ever since. I think there are powder that'll run them harder and be better on case capacity but that's been so solid for me I haven't left it for long.

I just ran volume check on RL26 vs Retumbo & 7977 at 73 grain weight.

RL 26 = 4.891 cc's

7977 = 5.161 cc's or + 5% approx

Retumbo = 5.263 cc's + 7% approx

If load is 70 grain Retumbo that should equal same volume as near 75 grain of RL26.

So RL 26 is denser than either Retumbo or 7977.

Last edited:
R26 is awesome as well as 33 but for hunting I still struggle to love it, H1000 or Retumbo I know every time I dial it's right on the money year long and I can run at top pressure.

The books are low but I suspect equally low so you can still use them to compare the loads.
not always... they are where they are to account for tighter rifles. My freshly re-built 7rum would stick cases at top book loads. I am running near the bottom for "normal" pressures. My 300rum rifles are often showing a bit of a shiner by top load and I usually run somewhat of a mid load in them.
If you have a loose rifle you may need to push it a bit to get to normal velocity, but I cringe whenever someone starts talking about new frontiers like a 7rem doing 3200 fps with a 175-180. You are working the heck out of your rifle by that point, and you would be best served going to a larger chambering or bigger caliber to get your performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.