270wsm vs 30-06 vs 280ai

They will all work, but if you are shooting factory ammo. 650yd is pushing it with the 30-06, especially if you are below 5000ft. Factory '06 loads are loaded to lower pressures than the WSM or AI, though so there is some performance on the table for a handloader.

Handloaded, the '06 can get there no problem, and there's something about a 200+ grain bullet that just makes me smile.

With factory ammos, the '06 is also the most affordable to shoot, if you are not already proficient at long range shooting, you will want to practice a lot, and the '06 might help you there.

I'd only buy a 270WSM with a 1:8 or 1:9 twist. That rules out most factory rifles, as they come with the slow 1:10 twist, optimized for shorter (lighter) bullets. With factory ammo, and factory guns the 6.5PRC might actually be a better choice

280AI is a great round.

It doesn't seem to be a popular choice, but I have really taken a liking to the 270wsm. I loaded some 140gr accubonds going 3,100fps out of a browning x-bolt for my wife's elk hunt. She shot a 6x5 bull at 400 yds (398 to be exact, but I'll give her the 2 yards) and it only went 15yds before it piled up. I was surprised at just how hard that bullet hit the bull at that distance. Velocity and energy for this load are both good out to 600 for elk. Velocity is good beyond that for bullet expansion, but the energy falls below the 1,500 ft lbs mark.

If you compare this load to a 160gr AB out of a 7mm at 3,000fps, the 270wsm beats the 7mm on velocity out to 900yrd and energy drops below 1,500 ft lb near 600yrd for both. In fairness, the 7mm does carry a little more energy at every distance, but it is impressive that the 270wsm is neck and neck with the 7mm.

Hello all I'm am wondering which of these calibers will be good for elk out to 500 to 650 yards with factory loads also what else would be a good light recoiling magnum round that is comfortable to shoot for those same ranges thanks
Actually any of those calibers would be fine but the 270WSM Or the 280 AI would be first choice. You could shoot the 280 while fire forming your brass. That is one nice thing about the 280 AI it will shoot 280 factory with no problem in a pinch. There is nothing wrong with the 30-06 either. 300WSM would be my choice though.

Last edited:
I saw an elk last year get in hit in the shoulder, 1/3 of the way up, could see the bullet impact, with a 180gr bullet from a 30-06 at 400yds, we caught up to the elk a couple miles later. If ur wanting to take elk out to 600, a 300wm is pretty tried and proven

I saw an elk last year get in hit in the shoulder, 1/3 of the way up, could see the bullet impact, with a 180gr bullet from a 30-06 at 400yds, we caught up to the elk a couple miles later. If ur wanting to take elk out to 600, a 300wm is pretty tried and proven
I love it - the 30-06 isn't enough gun for elk at 400 yards.

I love it - the 30-06 isn't enough gun for elk at 400 yards.
Should've been shot in the neck, or a little higher, or behind the shoulder, but on the point of the shoulder it didn't get the job done...I love how 400 yd shots get sniffed at now lol. But with better shot placement and a better bullet would've worked just fine, but factory ammo from a 30-06 and 600yds on an elk can have a lot of things go wrong and the op wants good factory options

Should've been shot in the neck, or a little higher, or behind the shoulder, but on the point of the shoulder it didn't get the job done...I love how 400 yd shots get sniffed at now lol. But with better shot placement and a better bullet would've worked just fine, but factory ammo from a 30-06 and 600yds on an elk can have a lot of things go wrong and the op wants good factory options
Right...this has nothing to do with the 30-06 (which I am not a fan of and will probably never own one), And everything to do with the bullet choice. If a good 180gr bullet from a 30-06 can't bust through a shoulder and reach the vitals @ 400 yards, we should all quit hunting and Len should shut this site down.

I'm curious Canhunter35, what was the final diagnosis with that 2-mile elk? Did the bullet fail to penetrate? Did it pencil through? Just not a hit to the vitals? Also, do you know the 30-06 load; bullet and velocity?

ID GO WITH THE 270 WSM ITS FASTER THAN THE 270WIN AND it's MORE THAN CAPABLE AT THE RANGE YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT. USE A GOOD 150 GR NOSLER ABLR AND DONT LOOK BACK. THE 30-06 AND 280 ARE BOTH BASED OFF THE SAME CASE SO NOT ALOT OF DIFFERENCE THERE
The 7mm 180 is a lot easier to steer in the wind than a 30 cal 180.

I can tell you that a 180 30 cal is going to drift a heck of a lot more in the wind than a 180 7mm. And that's why a 30 cal 180 will end up in the shoulder when you aimed for the heart/lungs if you're not on top of your wind dope. If your gonna shoot a 30 cal at at elk at 600 yards and don't know how to make wind shots then don't shoot a 180 gr. Shoot a 215 Berger at Least, better yet a 230.

Right...this has nothing to do with the 30-06 (which I am not a fan of and will probably never own one), And everything to do with the bullet choice. If a good 180gr bullet from a 30-06 can't bust through a shoulder and reach the vitals @ 400 yards, we should all quit hunting and Len should shut this site down.

Not many 180's I'd trust to do that job. A couple years back a friend of mine hit a bull in the shoulder with a .338 230gr eldx. Impact velocity around 2600fps iirc. Bullet did not make it through the rib cage.

Is a 338wm too small for elk too? What exactly is your definition of a 'good' bullet?

Have you ever quartered a mature bull?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.