270wsm vs 30-06 vs 280ai

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I'm am wondering which of these calibers will be good for elk out to 500 to 650 yards with factory loads also what else would be a good light recoiling magnum round that is comfortable to shoot for those same ranges thanks

I'm leaning toward the 280ai but not much factory ammo to choose from but can always use 280 rem and fire form for future reloading use and I like the looks of 6.5 prc on paper but it hasn't grown on me yet
I love my 6.5 PRC...it has pummeled everything I have shot with it. I was debating between the 280AI and 6.5PRC and have no regrets. I use it for elk, mulies, black bears etc. its a sweet round.

Last edited:
I'm leaning toward the 280ai but not much factory ammo to choose from but can always use 280 rem and fire form for future reloading use and I like the looks of 6.5 prc on paper but it hasn't grown on me yet
6.5 PRC looks as good in your hands as it does on paper. Even Better !! It Will grow on ya !! 😁

There is a decent amount of factory ammo choices for the .280AI. That would be my choice for elk.

If you hand load, the .280AI really comes to life. I am running a 175 Elite @ 2976fps. That is close to 7RM performance. My 7RM runs a moderate load 180 Hyb @ 2996fps, or a hot 184 @ 3041fps.

ID GO WITH THE 270 WSM ITS FASTER THAN THE 270WIN AND it's MORE THAN CAPABLE AT THE RANGE YOU ARE ASKING ABOUT. USE A GOOD 150 GR NOSLER ABLR AND DONT LOOK BACK. THE 30-06 AND 280 ARE BOTH BASED OFF THE SAME CASE SO NOT ALOT OF DIFFERENCE THERE

Hand loading = 280AI
Factory loads = 30-06

No such thing as a light-recoiling magnum round in a cartridge intended for big game. 6.5 PRC with a brake might be the closest thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.