270WSM Rebarrel to 7mmWSM

WHITEBULL

I have a 2006 Winchester Model 70. I bought it because its a lefty with less than 50 rounds through it. Unfortunately I did not do a lot of research regarding bullet selection for long range shooting. Would this rifle be a good candidate for a 7mm WSM barrel swap? If so, what else would need to be done to get this to feed properly?
Thanks.

Try some 165 Matrix bullets, also the 150g LRAB Nosler, and 150 Berger.

Are you referring to the 270? I haven't shot this gun much, and I know it prefers the 130 gr over the 150's. Although these are factory loads, I haven't worked up any loads for this yet, because most of the feed back I have gotten has been somewhat negative regarding the 270wsm for long range hunting. Everything I have heard about the 7mm WSM has been positive except barrel life.

The 270 and the 7mm are so close to the same with the best bullets you won't see any advantage to either, I prefer the 270 WSM with number of elk over 800 yards taken with 165 Matrix.

Yes, I was talking about the 270 WSM. I have a few of them and have had several 7WSM's and a 300WSM.

All a 7WSM is is a few thousandths longer shoulder to base measurement and a corresponding shorter neck than a 270WSM. I accidentally shot a couple 270WSM cases in a 7WSM(federal de-miled primed cases loaded with 7mm bullets)- it just moved the shoulder ahead a bit and made 7WSM cases. The bullets are .007" larger in the 7WSM.

The 270WSM has more really good bullets being offered all the time and they are generally available. There are a lot of 7mm bullets which is why the 7mm guys think the 7mm is so great.

Yes, I was talking about the 270 WSM. I have a few of them and have had several 7WSM's and a 300WSM.

All a 7WSM is is a few thousandths longer shoulder to base measurement and a corresponding shorter neck than a 270WSM. I accidentally shot a couple 270WSM cases in a 7WSM(federal de-miled primed cases loaded with 7mm bullets)- it just moved the shoulder ahead a bit and made 7WSM cases. The bullets are .007" larger in the 7WSM.

The 270WSM has more really good bullets being offered all the time and they are generally available. There are a lot of 7mm bullets which is why the 7mm guys think the 7mm is so great.

After doing a little search, I saw where Matrix recommends a 1:9 twist for the 165 gr VLD, mine is a 1:10. Have tried these in a 1:10 barrel?
Thanks for the help.

The 165 generally works fine inn the 1 in 10 twist barrels.

Good to hear. It certainly is worth working up some loads then. H-1000, Retumbo, and Magpro seam like they are the proper burn rate. If my gun likes them, this will allow me to save for awhile for that 1:9 barrel and that Huskemaw scope that keeps popping up over the forum advertisements :D

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.