270wsm and Barnes TTSX powder question

Jesse09

I just made the mistake of ordering multiple boxes of the Barnes TTSX 130gn bullet for my 270wsm without first checking on recommended powders for this bullet.

I had assumed that the IMR 4350 that I use with the Nosler BT would work with the Barnes, but Barnes' web site warns that their all copper bullet generates higher pressures with lower charges than do conventional copper/lead bullets. They recommend RL-19, but I can't find any of that.

Does anyone have a recipe for this TTSX 130 gn bullet using IMR 4350; or can someone recommend a suitable powder and load other than the RL-19?

Thank you.

Jesse09

I just made the mistake of ordering multiple boxes of the Barnes TTSX 130gn bullet for my 270wsm without first checking on recommended powders for this bullet.

I had assumed that the IMR 4350 that I use with the Nosler BT would work with the Barnes, but Barnes' web site warns that their all copper bullet generates higher pressures with lower charges than do conventional copper/lead bullets. They recommend RL-19, but I can't find any of that.

Does anyone have a recipe for this TTSX 130 gn bullet using IMR 4350; or can someone recommend a suitable powder and load other than the RL-19?

Thank you.

Jesse09

I'm using IMR 4831 and RL22

I have used a number of different powders in my 270WSM with Barnes TTSX and TSX bullets. I think their statement is more of a general statement for all Barnes bullets and applies less to the TTSX bullets than the one that do not have the grooves. I have had some loads with the 140 grains Barnes TSX that I loaded the exact same grains of RL-22 with a 140 grains Accubond. I would just use IMR-4350 and start lower and work up slowly. This should work well.

Shortmagman, I understand what you are suggesting and that was my first inclination; I just didn't know if it was a dangerous approach with these bullets.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Jesse09

I have tried several different powders in my 270wsm for 130gr TSX. Once i tried Accurate Magpro I have never looked back. Velocity is unreal I gained almost 150fps over 4350, and 75-100 over 4831, 7828. Accuracy is very good also.

wnc-coyote, I started looking yesterday for Magpro, but didn't find it.
waspocrew, mine is a modified Tikka, also; my first powder search was for RL-22, but it's not to be had.

Since posting my original question, I've learned a lot more about Barnes' bullets and a lot of hunters have reported outstanding external ballistics and terminal performance on whitetail deer with both the TSX BT and the newer TTSX shooting 110 grain bullets rather than the 130 grain that I was used to shooting with the Nosler BT. It is argued that the all-copper bullet, by retaining so much of its original weight, equals or surpasses the killing potential of the heavier composite bullets. An additional bonus would be a flatter long range trajectory.

Since I have a lifetime supply of IMR 4350 on hand AND the TTSX 110 grain bullet is reported to excel with this powder, I just cancelled my original bullet order and substituted the lighter bullet.

We'll see.

Jesse

you will be very happy with the 110's. drive them hard, the harder you can push them the better performance you will see. all my testing with these bullets have shown best accuracy right at the top end of pressure. and you will not be disappointed in the way they perform on whitetail. I have shot some 80gr out of a 243 at smoking velocities that had devastating effects on deer and hogs.

Thanks, wnc-coyote, for the encouragement. I have another question concerning the Barnes (I've emailed Barnes, but not yet heard back): Their web site suggests seating these bullets between .030" - .070" off the lands, with a starting point of .050". This is roughly a gap six times as great as I would usually start (.005").

What's your experience with the best seating gap?

Jesse

Last edited:
I was of the same impression as you. I have always loaded as close to the lands as possible. my best groups and most consistent groups have came within .005 of lands. I have had a few loads shoot well with a jump but always had high es in velocity.

For my 270wsm, (browning M-1000 Eclipse) I am shooting a very stiff load of magpro behind the TSX 130gr. Norma brass, and WLRM primers. 3500FPS

This is why I quit looking for powders when i started shooting with magpro.

That group says it all; 3500 fps does generate some barrel-killing heat, though, doesn't it?

I noted at the bottom of your target, next to seating depth, "3.266". Is that the ogive measurement (including the ~1" for the tool, itself)? In your rifle, how much off the lands does it approximate? I'm still very concerned with identifying a starting point for seating these bullets.

Thanks for addressing this.

Jesse

The seating depth is to the ogive with a tool I made. It should be about .002 off lands. I can give you a oal to the tip of the bullet this evening. So far the rifle only has around 40 of these loads through it I don't shoot this rifle other than hunting. I have several other I practice with. So I'm not ta worri d about barrel life.

Okay, I've got it; you disregarded Barnes' instructions about the huge gap; I'll start with as close to .005" as I can determine. I don't need your c.o.a.l. since my own rifle's throating will differ from yours.

FYI, I've just finished trying to develop a load for this rifle using the Swift Scirocco II, 130 gn bullet. It was a failure; after about 150 rounds I had determined the best variables and had fired a group or two in the low .400's; thought I was good to go, but the next time out I was spraying bullets. I think the extra long secant ogive of that bullet is what my rifle couldn't handle, consistently. I think the Barnes has a more modest tangent ogive.

Also, I learned with the Swift that a normal inside-neck chamfering resulted in too much pressure on the case neck when seating; I had to use a hand VLD chamferer. I plan to hand chamfer for the Barnes, also.

Finally, I will seat the Barnes without a crimp; my seater is the Forster Benchrest with micrometer seating dial. I'd guess that I'll end up firing the rifle single-shot - either because the cartridge overall length exceeds the magazine maximum or because recoil changes the ogive.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Jesse

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.