270wsm,280ai or 7mm mag

SamuelBerryhill308

I posted couple days ago about what's good caliber to get to start long range hunting with being mostly for deer hunting but do plan on elk and beer hunting also and I got alot of recommends about 6.5 and all and after talking to few different people I will be buying a 6.5 later after purchasing one of the above calibers so my question is with mostly deer hunting and hopefully elk and bear hunting in mind out of the 3 calibers above what would be the better caliber to choose? I have also considered 300 win mag but want a factory rifle that's threaded and I'm not sure who all makes a factory threaded 300 win mag that's not going to be over 1,200. I dont have any experience with any of them but have done alot of research on them and this is what I cant get factory ammo for locally or I can order either one and I also plan to start reloading having hard time finding everything I need used.

Browning x bolt Hells canyon. For the price it's a very good deal for its features. It also comes with a muzzle brake. Many cartridges to choose from and two versions the speed and LR (long range) to suit your needs. I have been more than happy with all my x bolts but some people dislike them too. I have never seen them in 280 AI but they make them in 270 wsm, 7mm mag and 300 win mag as well as 300 wsm, 300 RUM and 300 PRC. Good luck

Browning x bolt Hells canyon. For the price it's a very good deal for its features. It also comes with a muzzle brake. Many cartridges to choose from and two versions the speed and LR (long range) to suit your needs. I have been more than happy with all my x bolts but some people dislike them too. I have never seen them in 280 AI but they make them in 270 wsm, 7mm mag and 300 win mag as well as 300 wsm, 300 RUM and 300 PRC. Good luck
Thanks for your input I do like the looks of the x bolts they are some nice rifles

Of the cartridges above, with store ammo in mind and factory availability of rifles. I would do a 7mm mag, 280 AI and 270 WSM in that order. 270 wsm is sweet but finding the 170 EOL in factory ammo isn't going to be at every store. 280 AI is sweet, I have two. One shoots the 162 and the other I am about to finish for the 180 class bullets. Not every store will have ammo and not every manufacture offers that chambering. 7mm mag, everyone chambers it, every store has the ammo and it is a great cartridge. This is all JMHO, good luck sir.

Of the cartridges above, with store ammo in mind and factory availability of rifles. I would do a 7mm mag, 280 AI and 270 WSM in that order. 270 wsm is sweet but finding the 170 EOL in factory ammo isn't going to be at every store. 280 AI is sweet, I have two. One shoots the 162 and the other I am about to finish for the 180 class bullets. Not every store will have ammo and not every manufacture offers that chambering. 7mm mag, everyone chambers it, every store has the ammo and it is a great cartridge. This is all JMHO, good luck sir.
Thank you for your input and yea I was leaning to the 7mm mag more but idk why but the 280ai jumps out at me more for some reason and as far as the 270 wsm I guess I like it because I grew up hunting with a 270win and I figured and have read that the 270wsm was a real improvement over the 270win but then again not many bullet weights available

The 280 AI is a real nice cartridge. Pair it with a 150-168 grain bullet and it can do almost everything.
A 7mm mag will be overall easier to find ammo and a rifle. Plus it can drive the 180 class bullets well. You should get decent barrel life so you can practice a bunch. I haven't owned a 7mm mag but I have shot a bunch of them. I think you'll be happy with that choice.

The 280 AI is a real nice cartridge. Pair it with a 150-168 grain bullet and it can do almost everything.
A 7mm mag will be overall easier to find ammo and a rifle. Plus it can drive the 180 class bullets well. You should get decent barrel life so you can practice a bunch. I haven't owned a 7mm mag but I have shot a bunch of them. I think you'll be happy with that choice.
Okay thanks I know heavy is better for elk but what grains would be good on deer say 150s or 160s?

Sure, the bullet type will play more into the end result than anything. A well built bullet, that delivers good terminal performance is more important than the weight, within reason of course.
I used a 177 bullet on a bison, later that year my sister used a 180 on a mulie out of my 28 Nosler. Both died and very little meat loss. Both were good shots though. I'll add the guide wasn't happy I only had a 177 bullet and a 28 Nosler. After the kill his mind was changed.

Last edited:
Sure, the bullet type will play more into the end result than anything. A well built bullet, that delivers good terminal performance is more important than the weight, within reason of course.
I used a 177 bullet on a bison, later that year my sister used a 180 on a mulie out of my 28 Nosler. Both died and very little meat loss. Both were good shots though. I'll add the guide wasn't happy I only had a 177 bullet and a 28 Nosler. After the kill his mind was changed.
Okay sounds good and yep a good bullet is everything

I posted couple days ago about what's good caliber to get to start long range hunting with being mostly for deer hunting but do plan on elk and beer hunting also and I got alot of recommends about 6.5 and all and after talking to few different people I will be buying a 6.5 later after purchasing one of the above calibers so my question is with mostly deer hunting and hopefully elk and bear hunting in mind out of the 3 calibers above what would be the better caliber to choose? I have also considered 300 win mag but want a factory rifle that's threaded and I'm not sure who all makes a factory threaded 300 win mag that's not going to be over 1,200. I dont have any experience with any of them but have done alot of research on them and this is what I cant get factory ammo for locally or I can order either one and I also plan to start reloading having hard time finding everything I need used.
Use the 7mm you always find some ammo in every store it will be great for all your animals you want to harvest and keep freezer full

270 WSM I reload so weight is a choice I can make - currently shooting Berger Classic Hunters at 3250 FPS which isn't a max load and Sierra 140 HPBT out of a Fierce Edge with standard brake. I can see the impact through the scope with very manageable recoil. I had a 7mm but it kicked like a mule, I am not recoil sensitive but the 270 WSM is just nice and all I need, don't tell all the other rifles in the safe.

I haven't shot much else than a 7mm for long range so I'll follow other's comments on those calibers. I fell in love with the ballistics and ease of getting ammo. Then over time I went to a custom rifle with loads build for it.... So it depends on what your definition of "Long Range" is. My shooter is 0.26 MOA and it took a while to get there. To start, try different ammo until you get good results. I also like Berger 168 VLD's. @ about 3000 fps. Excellent ballistics. Good to take a deer out to 1000 yards but IMHO, not enough energy for Elk at that distance. You might check out choiceammunition.com. They have worked well for me. Quality ammo and if you get to the point where you want to buy custom, they will build it for you - if it's a several boxes. Hope this helps... my 2 cents...

I haven't shot much else than a 7mm for long range so I'll follow other's comments on those calibers. I fell in love with the ballistics and ease of getting ammo. Then over time I went to a custom rifle with loads build for it.... So it depends on what your definition of "Long Range" is. My shooter is 0.26 MOA and it took a while to get there. To start, try different ammo until you get good results. I also like Berger 168 VLD's. @ about 3000 fps. Excellent ballistics. Good to take a deer out to 1000 yards but IMHO, not enough energy for Elk at that distance. You might check out choiceammunition.com. They have worked well for me. Quality ammo and if you get to the point where you want to buy custom, they will build it for you - if it's a several boxes. Hope this helps... my 2 cents...
I agree works great for me also berger all the way

@308hunter26

Just my 2 cents. Compared to the other 7mm mags I have shot in the past my browning x bolt has no sting even after a full box of bullets target shooting. If I was to do that with my Winchester 70 or Remington 700 after about 10 shots I would start feeling the tingling begin to start after each shot. Buy not even with my 28 Nosler x bolt even after 5-8 shots. Their "inflex" butt pad system really works, that's the only reason I can think of as they are even lighter in total weight than the rest of the other rifles using the same heads or you can just run them braked.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts