.270win with 130gr Nosler Partition

ropeNshoot

I'm trying to get a good load with 130gr Partitions in my .270win. It's a Rem 700 adl. I used the ocw method and worked up from 54.9gr of H4831sc with WLR primers in new WW brass. I've attached a picture of my load data and the groups that I shot with each powder charge. I should mention that I regularly shoot one hole groups with this rifle using Hornady SSTs and even with different commercial rounds. I'm thinking that I need to go back and retest the powder charges that I used for sighters. Two of those shots were overlapping with one flyer that made for a 1.2" group which was the best of all, even though there was a huge spread in the three powder charges. What do y'all think? Do any of you shoot this load with a similar or matching rifle and would you expect one hole accuracy at 100yds with this bullet?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 209
I recently bought a bag of ww brass for 30-06 and the necks were so different in size per case that I don't expect much for accuracy in these until they are fire formed. Should of neck sized but got lazy lol. So if you didn't do any sizing to that brass you might have misinformation in group size and spread

I recently bought a bag of ww brass for 30-06 and the necks were so different in size per case that I don't expect much for accuracy in these until they are fire formed. Should of neck sized but got lazy lol. So if you didn't do any sizing to that brass you might have misinformation in group size and spread

I agree with that line of thinking. But, I full length sized, trimmed, chamfered and de-burred each case prior to loading. Same process I use for all of my brass, new or old.

If it were me I would try another powder. I worked up a load for a friends Rem in 270 Win using Nosler 130 Accubonds, not partitins. I started with H4831 just and you did and I never got this load to shot well. I switched to H4350 and was able to get 1/2 groups with his gun.

I have never seen any Partition shoot accurately, only about 1-1.5 in., regardless of bullet diameter. These are known for great "performance" not LR accuracy...gun)
IMO, pretty close to the Speer Grand Slam...

You may be right. I've never been able to get the Grand Slams to shoot better than 1-1.25" groups at 100y. This may be the same

I live in a lead-free crazy state, but anyway, my plan is to work up a 270 load with GS custom HV bullets and norma 203B. It is supposed to be a relatively forgiving combo.

I am still pulling things together though, so it is still more plan than results.

OP: I shoot the same rifle you do only a cdl. I had a time with 130 Partitions. Could not get MOA where I wanted. I did manage to get Sierra GK 130's to shoot very well with H-4831SC on the higher end. Doesn't mean your rifle will like them.:rolleyes: You haven't mentioned seating depth. If I try a new bullet I have to try other seating depths.

Jack O'Connor , the legendary outdoor writer , used the .270 Win . for big game all around the world . He once wrote that his favorite loading was a 130 gr. Sierra with 60.0 grains of H4831 powder . I don't remember if he mentioned which primer , but he spoke of velocity of 3100 fps out of a 24" barrel .

I have a hunting buddy that uses this combination with CCI 200 primers , out of a 22" barrel , over 3000 fps , just under MOA accuracy .

BE CAREFUL . Work up to this loading , watching for pressure signs , Stop when you see them , and reduce your load .

I loaded them with the published seating depth. I finally got them to shoot well but is was with 55gr of powder. Which is much lower than the published max. What y'all think?

If it's accurate at 200m + then STICK WITH IT. Learn it.
Velocity be damned..... if you can't hit anything with it, It doesn't matter how fast she goes.
You're still prolly in the 2850 range... Doubtful that anything inside a 1/4 mi would give a crap anyways.... hitting is what kills critters.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts