270win to 270 wby

The 270 Weatherby is a magical cartridge. It is the perfect balance of muscle, speed, class and barrel life. Will it outlast a 257 Roberts? No. Will it last as long as a 7em em Rem mag? Pretty close. Will it shoot a frozen rope and kill like lightning with 110gr TSX through 160 grain Nosler Partition? YES! Manageable recoil, good barrel life, great trajectory, (seat your Bergers way out) and great brass or factory ammo. If you get a rifle you love in the 270 Weatherby you will have found rifle nirvana. The rifle gods are speaking to you, just listen.

Axl--$1400!? l couldn't bear to look at the auction after first seeing it. Another case of ''Magnumitis''.. l seem to remember a guy killing THOUSANDS of elephants with a little
7x57Mauser. l think he called his a ''275 Rigby''. He had a ''light rifle''(6.5Swede) that he used
to drop another couple thousand. lt also helped DWM Bell was a good shot too;) But that was another time. Pachyderms are lot BIGGER now than they were then. We really NEED those
big MAGNUMS today:rolleyes:
You hear about all the success and none of the failure. I grew up with hill-billy friends that shot deer with the .22Lr. They didn't brag as much about the ones they hit that ran off with no blood trail. I am guessing the the ol .275 Rigby had its share of those. The .270 Weatherby is not a "big magnum". it is a perfect cartridge that Remington and Winchester had no answer to. The .270 Bee will do anything the 25s through 30s are expected to with out 80 bullets to choose from. Even with the 170 Berger, with the right twist the wby will shine. The belts are no longer cool, and the shoulder is not the new craze 30 degree, but in the original 257 through 340, Roy got case capacity right and it has only gotten better as powder burn rates have slowed. Can you do with less? Sure. Are there bigger and faster? Yep, but Roy hit a lot of sweet spots. He's not my uncle or anything, but I have shot almost every case and caliber from .223 through the .338s and the from a hunting stand-point the Weatherby cartridges are really hard to beat from several perspectives.🤫

Hello
For you gunsmiths or guys who have possibly done this.. What does it take? I'm thinking of buying a rifle I like a lot in 270win and converting it to 270wby. Ive always wanted a 270wby and I dont like any of their offerings currently. Please let me know what I'm getting in to and what I need to consider. And yes if its a stupid idea you can tell me that as well. Thank you
Just buy a Winchester 270wsm and call it good

The .275 Rigby a.k.a. 7 X 57 is no slouch. It will do everything and more than the loved 7-08 can do. True, not a magnum class but a well dismissed cartridge.

All good stuff guys. To the gunsmith that answered and said that rechambering isnt cheap or easy, thank you for your perspective. I never figured it would be cheap or easy but again I dont know much about gunsmithing at all. I do appreciate good craftsmanship as Ive had a couple custom rifles built and I love them, i just wasnt looking to go that route for this project.

To the guy who said go 270wsm. Ive shot them and they are fine, Ive just had this itch for the Wby.

All good stuff guys. To the gunsmith that answered and said that rechambering isnt cheap or easy, thank you for your perspective. I never figured it would be cheap or easy but again I dont know much about gunsmithing at all. I do appreciate good craftsmanship as Ive had a couple custom rifles built and I love them, i just wasnt looking to go that route for this project.

To the guy who said go 270wsm. Ive shot them and they are fine, Ive just had this itch for the Wby.
Understood

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.