270win - ok - but looking for something with more punch

I'd possibly look for a used 35 Whelen or a 300win. A whelen pushing a 250 to 2500-2600 will hit like a hammer; a 300win with a 180 to 200 grain pill will hit nearly as hard and be a bit flatter trajectory. It's an odd thing right now that you nearly have to source ammo before you look for a rifle.
As others have said, steer clear of bargain basement pricing right now as it's most likely a scam. If you haven't done business with them in normal times why would you want to try your hand now.

300 PRC is what I opted for. I went with a more expensive rifle but 300 PRC as a cartridge in a rifle with a muzzle brake is very shootable at the range.

I was thinking of a rifle that might be used by both of us - and since she cannot stalk and run like I can if need be I was thinking of maybe getting a rifle that could reach further and kill well -

If I get a 30 cal is a 1/10 twist rate adequate for 200 and 212 gr bullets? These have higher BC and SD and terminal ability so that's another reason I was thinking of 300 WM - we both will have silencers to use after approval - so they mitigate recoil and blast -

I was also looking into other 30 cal magnums 30 Nosler 300 PRC 300 RUM 300 WSM and 300 Weatherby Magnum - what II think II am finding is that the 300 Weatherby Mag can handle the larger - longer 200-225 gr 30 cal bullets better than a 300 Win Mag and out side of 300 Win Mag its ammo is available and not as pricy as the rest of the 30 cal magnums thus be able to buy ammo and practice and then reload trying some of the heavy bullets -

I realize that no matter how fast a flying offense I have if I don't practice hunting fundamentals that it will be lucky if we score so we need to prepare

My wife is willing and wanting to go hunting with me which I really appreciate and just want to be successful

Last edited:
Heck if you only plan on 200+ I might go 1:8. It really sounds like the 300 PRC is what you are seeking. Slightly more power than the 300 WM, designed from the ground up to shoot heavy high BC 30 cal projectiles. Runs in a standard long action, no need for the XL actions.

You can also look at all the stats and buy the newest rifle in an elk killing wonder cartridge for long range. That doesn't change the fact that if you don't have ammunition, all the awesome stats will not kill an elk. You stated very early on you are VERY dependent on factory ammunition.

So using ammoseek.com today what are your options.

.270 Win - No ammunition found
.338 Win Mag - One choice $4.50 per round + shipping
.300 PRC - Three choices $5-5.85 per round + shipping
.300 Win Mag - 30 choices $2-6 per round + shipping
.30-06 - 83 choices $1.80-6 per round + shipping
.308 Win - Over 500 choices starting around $0.60 per round and up + shipping
7mm-08 - Five choices $2-6.50 per round + shipping
7mm RM - 13 choices $2.10-5 per round + shipping
6.5 Creedmoor - 56 choices $2-6 per round + shipping
6.5 PRC - 13 choices $3.50-7.50 per round + shipping

So ask yourself, do I spend $1600 + optics on a rifle that costs me $100+ per box of ammunition? Or do I spend $1600 + optics on a different rifle and spend $100 per 50-100 rounds? Which one can I afford for my wife or I to shoot and practice and hone our long range skills with? With practice comes confidence in ability, and with confidence comes successful hunts when the time comes to squeeze the trigger.

I'm not saying you shouldn't ever get a .300 PRC or other cartridge for what you're wanting. I'm just saying now probably isn't the time. Wait and see if the component or ammunition situation improves, because right now is just a horrible time to try and find either.

I have a Savage 26 Nosler that's been sitting new in the box for a few years now and since I cannot find ammo for it nor most other calibers I think I will start reloading anyway verses looking for something like a 30-06 or 300 WM - maybe with the greater 6.5 SC bullets it can actually be a bit of a long range elk hunting rifle. I'll have to check on the twist rate but I should be able to use 140-160 gr bullets. I think I will continue to use lung shots for kills because they say our lungs don't have nerves there so it can be one of the least painful means - we cannot even tell when pneumonia sets in because we don't have feeling in lungs so I am thinking of continuing shooting game in the lungs. It can be one of best shots to kill with by helping drain blood out of their circulatory system as well keeping wound adrenalin from spiking.

What are some of the bullets powders and cases you like? And since I have not ordered before where are some good recourses?

I have a Savage 26 Nosler that's been sitting new in the box for a few years now and since I cannot find ammo for it nor most other calibers I think I will start reloading anyway verses looking for something like a 30-06 or 300 WM - maybe with the greater 6.5 SC bullets it can actually be a bit of a long range elk hunting rifle. I'll have to check on the twist rate but I should be able to use 140-160 gr bullets. I think I will continue to use lung shots for kills because they say our lungs don't have nerves there so it can be one of the least painful means - we cannot even tell when pneumonia sets in because we don't have feeling in lungs so I am thinking of continuing shooting game in the lungs. It can be one of best shots to kill with by helping drain blood out of their circulatory system as well keeping wound adrenalin from spiking.

What are some of the bullets powders and cases you like? And since I have not ordered before where are some good recourses?
Trying to find 26nos cases? Nosler might be your only bet? Not sure if anyone else offers it? RL33, US869, RL50, LRT, or most any slow powders. Bullets vary, but depends on your needs? As far as suppliers, most are short on everything? Finding primers is going to be the hardest! Getting 26nos dies might be a challenge in itself?

Have you thought about the 7 rem mag? Most rifles may not need a brake, and if you handload it can be downloaded to shoot like a 7-08 for practice. Full power 162-175s should be good on elk well past 600yds.

I think I will continue to use lung shots for kills because they say our lungs don't have nerves there so it can be one of the least painful means - we cannot even tell when pneumonia sets in because we don't have feeling in lungs so I am thinking of continuing shooting game in the lungs. It can be one of best shots to kill with by helping drain blood out of their circulatory system as well keeping wound adrenalin from spiking.
I think this may be why your elk are walking away, I may not know much but alot of folks on here talk about "aiming for the crease." Death is always painful, we owe it to the animal to make death as quick as possible hence why some people aim crease, shoulder, and so on. Archers shoot at the lungs because arrows kill by slicing through the skin lungs and chest so the animal bleeds and the lungs fill up with blood (or collapse from air in the cavity). Also, adrenaline may help the animal to not notice pain as much until they are dead in 3-5 seconds. So trying to reduce adrenaline spikes may not be the best thing for trying to reduce pain to the animal. Honestly the only fast painless death is a 22LR between the eyes. But at hunting distances this is impractical because the chance of missing the brain and hitting say the jaw or nose would case the animal a great deal of pain and lead to a slow death or no death.
If you really want a 338, get one for yourself. I would look at some of threads on here and videos on YT that address the issue of shot placement. I would argue that lung deaths do cause pain because part of it is the chest cavity filling with air which can be very painful.
A 1-5 sec death on the ground DRT is better than a 30sec- 5 min death from only lung trama as the animal runs off.

Last edited:
Something to think about, a person who shoots 1000+ rounds a year with a 6.5 creed is far more lethal in the elk woods then a guy who shoots 10 rounds a year from some heavy recoiling rifle and can't shoot to save their life from field positions.

280AI hits the sweet spot. Great caliber for everything from Moose to Elk to deer. Very comparable to a 7MM mag out to 500-550 yards and out performs the 30-06. it has a nice range of bullet selections and is pretty mild on the recoil compared to the 300's and the larger 7mm

Something to think about, a person who shoots 1000+ rounds a year with a 6.5 creed is far more lethal in the elk woods then a guy who shoots 10 rounds a year from some heavy recoiling rifle and can't shoot to save their life from field positions.
on the flip side, if you use a bigger rifle enough to be great with it, you can do very well..

Recent Posts