270win - ok - but looking for something with more punch

When dealing with your wife consider what she wants and can handle rather than what you actually want. I have a Browning
AB3, 300 Win Mag. I had a muzzle brake put on it before I fired the first round. The muzzle brake works great as it now has about the same recoil as a .243. Mine is an AB3 Hunter with a 26 inch barrel and a Vortex Diamondback 6 x 24 x 50. Sighted it in yesterday and was SUB MOA, largest group about 0.060 with Sig Sauer 165 gr copper bullets. If you are looking for a nice gun for your wife this would be one. Total cost for rifle, scope and mounts and muzzle brake ran right around $1100. Keep in mind that you will have to shoot quite a few rounds (140 in my case) before the barrel settled in. Prior to that groups were around 1 MOA + - Make sure that you do a thorough copper cleaning after shooting it. Mine liked to collect copper fouling until the first 100 rounds after that the issue seems to have disappeared.
.060 grouping

I am not sure if the gun is for you or your wife I wasn't able to ascertain that from your post. I recently put together a 280 AI for my wife as her elk gun. She loves it, and shoots it very well. She used it for her deer hunt and then I left my 28 Nosler home and opted for her 280 AI for both deer and elk this year.
For me the 280 AI hits that perfect medium of recoil, knockdown, and it can still be light and used without a brake. Thats what I would suggest if you want to replace the 270 win or just add another rifle.

Range? - I wouldn't think over 600yrd - more like maybe 3-400yrds

If that's the expected range I'd look at a .308 Win. Especially since you are worried about ammunition availability. 150 grain BTSP ammunition will give you all the performance you need to anchor an elk in the ranges your expecting.

Would a 6.5PRC be better than a 270Win?

No, especially if you're trying to buy ammunition. 6.5 PRC ammo has been extremely difficult to find and really expensive when you do. Yes, you'll get better ballistics than the .270 from the 6.5 PRC but 600 yards and under you'll never see any advantages.

I have harvested two elk with 270win both ran 50 yrds - maybe I should just stick with the smaller calibers and not expect otherwise?
If elk ran after you shot them it's all about bullet placement. 50 yard death dashes means you had great shot placement (heart lung). If you don't want them to run, you have to change where you shoot them.

Just take away their ability to run with shoulder shots. A good 130 grain monolithic bullet bullet that'll bust heavy bones and penetrates will be your friend. You'll be pleasantly surprised by how little blood shot meat you'll have by a solid copper bullet that holds together.

Another vote here for the Win Mag. With good stock design and a silencer, recoil is not bad at all. I will say though, given recent ammo availability, I really wish I had a .308, the Springfield Waypoint with a 20" barrel seems like a great option to run suppressed.

300 wsm with a 151 hammer hunter.
Light recoil and will knock down anything you shoot with it. Can't remember details but you can get hammers commercially loaded or find someone who will load them for you.
Kris

You have a lot of options.6.8 western,270 wsm,280 AI,7mm remington mag or 300 wsm or 300 win mag.I would use a brake.good luck.

When dealing with your wife consider what she wants and can handle rather than what you actually want. I have a Browning
AB3, 300 Win Mag. I had a muzzle brake put on it before I fired the first round. The muzzle brake works great as it now has about the same recoil as a .243. Mine is an AB3 Hunter with a 26 inch barrel and a Vortex Diamondback 6 x 24 x 50. Sighted it in yesterday and was SUB MOA, largest group about 0.060 with Sig Sauer 165 gr copper bullets. If you are looking for a nice gun for your wife this would be one. Total cost for rifle, scope and mounts and muzzle brake ran right around $1100. Keep in mind that you will have to shoot quite a few rounds (140 in my case) before the barrel settled in. Prior to that groups were around 1 MOA + - Make sure that you do a thorough copper cleaning after shooting it. Mine liked to collect copper fouling until the first 100 rounds after that the issue seems to have disappeared.
This is very much about your wife. Have her shoot some of the calibers you like and see how she handles them. I have known some gals that could take a beating and like it, pun intended.

I have killed more elk with a 30-06 than my 300 win mag.
I choose 300 win mag as I can reach out farther.
My point is a 30-06 or a 270 will kill elk just as well.
With my 300 win mag I have taken animals out to 610 yards and wouldn't try that with my 30-06

I have a Tikka 270Win that has done ok on elk for me but will be acting as guide for wife who is less mobile and so I am looking for input for another cartage that will work for more long range and have more punch -

I am looking at this Moosburg Patriout 338 WiinMag

Now I know its going to kick so I plan on putting on a combination break and silencer
That is why the shorter 22 in barrel might be a good idea -
But what about the trigger on this? I am thinking it might not be very smooth and crisp?
I think the Moosburg action should be ok?

I don't reload yet but plan on starting sometime - The 300 Win Mag looks like a good like choice also with all of
the ready made ammo available but I am also wanting to keep the cost down -

How come there is isn't any ammo available like it normally has been in the past?
I suggest the 300 Winchester magnum using 180 grain Bullets. I also have the 338 but you'll find the recoil is a lot more. In the 338 Winchester magnum I use 225 grain bullets.
If recoil is a factor then the 300.
I truly suggest that you do not want a barrel length less than 24 inches for velocity reasons and muzzle blast.