270win - ok - but looking for something with more punch

Colorman5280

I would hesitate to go with mossberg
the patriot they get mixed reviews from what I have read. A cheaper option would be like a Sauer Comanche although those are hard to rebarrel or Ruger American variants are much better from what I've read. I vote Ruger American or at least stay away from Mossberg? anyone else feel this way?

Colorman5280

Although now that I've read through your whole thread I just bought a 7 rem mag bergara hunter that came with a radial brake and I LOVE IT!
Shoots reasonably softly its still 7rem but its not punishing at all I shot 60 rounds my first trip with it!
You can get the
-bergara hunter which is a #4 sporter barrel contour an its lighter
-Bergara Ridgeline is a #5 Sporter contour and its heavier about as heavy as id go on a mountain gun
-Bergara HMR is one profile above #5 I believe not sure if its technically that but for all intents and purposes.

Old rooster

I would hesitate to go with mossberg
the patriot they get mixed reviews from what I have read. A cheaper option would be like a Sauer Comanche although those are hard to rebarrel or Ruger American variants are much better from what I've read. I vote Ruger American or at least stay away from Mossberg? anyone else feel this way?
I agree.There are a few guys at our shooting range that shoots them but there are many options out there that will out shoot the ones I have seen.T/C Venture is a good option as the Compass too and as Coloman5280 said the Ruger American.I have the Ruger American Predator in 223 that will out shoot all the other 223s I have owned.I have a T/C Venture and after bedding it I can shoot great groups.My Howa 1500 shoots great and not much more than a Mossberg.
If you can catch a J P Sauer 100 on sale you will not be disappointed and I was assured the barrels on the 100 are screwed on and not pressed fit.

HeadedWest

I have a Tikka 270Win that has done ok on elk for me but will be acting as guide for wife who is less mobile and so I am looking for input for another cartage that will work for more long range and have more punch -

I am looking at this Moosburg Patriout 338 WiinMag

Now I know its going to kick so I plan on putting on a combination break and silencer
That is why the shorter 22 in barrel might be a good idea -
But what about the trigger on this? I am thinking it might not be very smooth and crisp?
I think the Moosburg action should be ok?

I don't reload yet but plan on starting sometime - The 300 Win Mag looks like a good like choice also with all of
the ready made ammo available but I am also wanting to keep the cost down -
Hal
How come there is isn't any ammo available like it normally has been in the past?
That 270 should be perfect. I don't believe it would hurt her, no matter how small she is. Her being a new shooter , she shouldn't be shooting out past 300 anyway. Maybe 250. Even half these guys on this forum shouldn't be shooting , out past 400.

Muddyboots

LRH Team Member
Range? - I wouldn't think over 600yrd - more like maybe 3-400yrds
.270 is still fine for this range. If you load, the 124 Hammer Hunter ups the ante for the .270 1:10 Twist big time. If not interested, the 06 is plenty for this range. In a time of crazy supply, I would stay with traditional cartridges just for factory ammo availability.