270win loads

Canhunter35

My brother in law wants me to help him make a varmint load and big game(elk) load for his 270win
Just wondering what everyone kind of liked in their 270s?

Sorry to be so blunt, but the answer is choose a projectile, choose a powder, open up a manual & work up a load in your rifle.
Also if you do a search on here you will get lots of other useless information as other people's loads are not applicable to anyone else's rifle!
Varmint loads =90gr projectiles, big game up to 180grprojectiles which most 1:10's will shoot

Last edited:
Sorry to be so blunt, but the answer is choose a projectile, choose a powder, open up a manual & work up a load in your rifle.
Also if you do a search on here you will get lots of other useless information as other people's loads are not applicable to anyone else's rifle!
Varmint loads =90gr projectiles, big game up to 180grprojectiles which most 1:10's will shoot
You're kidding. Please don't post if you have nothing to say.

You're kidding. Please don't post if you have nothing to say.

No Im not kidding & I have plenty to say!

I don't get why people even ask for loads from other peoples rifles as it fruitless, even if you use the exact same load in the exact same rifle you will still get a different result as your reloading process, die set up, neck tension, CBTO, different powder & primer batches etc etc etc, it will be different.

So yeh, pointless imo!

You still have to work up a load so what is the point??

I have seen this on forums for 15 years & still shake my head in disbelief on how many people ask the same thing!

This is nothing personal, just my own personal view on the topic, which we are all entitled to so will sign out of this one & wish you the best of luck in working out a load for your brother in law.
IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

Last edited:
I shot a .270 for years and only ever shot 140-145gr bullets. I used IMR 4831 and RL23. I shot Hornady 140gr BTSPs and their 140gr SSTs. I used 56.0gr of IMR 4831, work up from 53gr, and they were around 3000fps. I also shot some Sierra 140gr GameKings with RL23, I believe that load was around 57gr and was 3030fps. My last load I worked up was a 145gr ELD-X with 56.3gr of RL23 for an average of 2935fps. I would start 3gr lower than my loads and work your way up in 0.2-0.3gr increments until you find a node. I never shot lighter bullets, there's no advantage other than less recoil and less drop out to a few hundred yards. The 140gr SSTs did a lot of damage to the couple ground hogs I hit them with, and did great on deer.

They don't have it on their website but I found a box of 90gr sierras. So I bought them.

My 270 WSM bullet first choice is a Nosler 150 grain long range accubond. My use for the 270 is elk hunting.
Went with the 140accubonds, he shoots deer every year with the occasional elk and looks like I should be able to get the 140 I'm the 3000mv range

No Im not kidding & I have plenty to say!

I don't get why people even ask for loads from other peoples rifles as it fruitless, even if you use the exact same load in the exact same rifle you will still get a different result as your reloading process, die set up, neck tension, CBTO, different powder & primer batches etc etc etc, it will be different.

So yeh, pointless imo!

You still have to work up a load so what is the point??

I have seen this on forums for 15 years & still shake my head in disbelief on how many people ask the same thing!

This is nothing personal, just my own personal view on the topic, which we are all entitled to so will sign out of this one & wish you the best of luck in working out a load for your brother in law.
View attachment 156437
View attachment 156438
View attachment 156439
I've found that a lot of cartridges or even bullets like similar nodes. Using a hundred different rifles and the same components You could probably make a bell curve with 60 of them at the same velocity node. Then the rest would Spread to each side in decreasing frequency. Not to mention any other useful tidbits that can be gleaned from experienced 270loaders. Something someone might say could save me sending useless rounds down range.
But thank you for the pics, I'm not sure how close 4064 is to 2208 but seeing good results convinced me I should use 4064 instead of 4831 for the 90gr and I'll use 4831 with the 140s