270win for coyotes

mrb1982

I have a 270WIN I'd like to put to use for a while for coyotes until I have the money for a better predator gun. I usually shoot 130gr, but I am thinking that is a little heavy. The 90gr seem intriguing, but I am afraid once they get out past 200yds that I am gonna struggle with that little bullet.

So, you guys that are using a 270win, what are you shooting for coyotes? Any experience with this for coyotes would be much appreciated. Thanks.

From what I am reading, even the 90gr bullets can be pretty devastating to a coyote. Maybe I should just load up some 130gr like I have and keep going with them. That way I would just have one load for it and not have to worry about switching loads for it when I use it as my backup to my 7RM for deer hunting.

If your not trying to save fur the 110 V-max or the 110 TTSX will devastate a coyote, other wise sticking with your big game load will generally create less of an opportunity to sew two parts of a coyote back together again gun)

IMHO you are better off staying with the 130 gr loads especially if you are using factory ammo. I discovered that I became a better marksman when I settled on one bullet weight and was then able to concentrate on long range bullet performance as the main criteria in deciding what rounds to load. For example, I always carried a few rounds of Remington bronze points for those 400 yard shots at elk or mule deer because their penetration at that range was excellent. At 150 yards or less, where most elk are shot, those rounds go straight through so a Silvertip or something similar is called for. Good advice from "bigngreen". Back when I seriously hunted coyotes, a prime high country pelt with just one hole in it brought $200, but you couldn't hardly give one away that had been blown apart.

Yeah, kinda what I was thinking. Pretty much whatever I use in a 270 is gonna be a splatter more than anything. I think I will probably just stick with some 130gr stuff and see if I can split them in two. hahaha I am intrigued by those new Berger 130gr Classic Hunter Hybrids. Might just have to break down and give them a whirl.

You guys all pretty much told me what I expected to hear. I guess I was just hoping somebody would tell me something different. lol

i load the 90Gr pills in my dads remington 700, 270WSM and they are running just under 3800 fps. Last weekend he took a dog at 362 yards on a dead run runiing straight away. He held dead on and hit the dog between the shoulders and left a volleyball size hole. You couldnt tell entrance from exit. It was freaking awesome. lol.

IMG_20121125_080526.jpg

Ps he missed his first shot at 130 yards, thats why it was so far away when he killed it. It was his first called coyote.

I'm not an expert on ballistics by any means but if you shoot behind shoulder and avoid the front shoulder it's self and the spine shouldn't tear them up too bad. I hunted once with a guy carrying a 270 think he was shooting winchester silver tips his shot went through back hips about 80yds huge mess hide was torn to shreds and I had to dispatch with my 223 as she tried to drag herself away, like I said hunted with him once and only once. Most everything I've witnessed or seen pics of if you avoid the spine and shoulder shouldn't be too bad, a regular deer type game bullet should be fine not tear things up too badly.

i know for a fact that the 130gr sst bullet will totally tear them up no matter where you hit them, but i dont save hides.:D

hahaha I can about imagine. I am kinda torn on the situation. One side of me doesn't really give a rip if I destroy them or not, just want to shoot as many of them as I can. On the other hand, I figure if I am going to be shooting them, I may as well be making a couple bucks here and there on the hides. Also, I would like to tan a couple of them. They're pretty cool lookin things when they are tanned. Who knows. Probably be a few months before I can gather up enough scratch to buy a 22-250 I would like, so I am sure I will get to experience what the 270 will do before hand. haha

Kinda what I thought would happen.

So since this is my own thread, this gives me the right to hijack it, right? hahaha I can always start another thread if I need to.

I am thinking about a 223 rem so that I could use it as a good "practicing" rifle but also use it coyotes. I really like 22-250's also, but I fear that if I start using that for a lot of "practice" rounds, that I would burn out the barrel so much faster than a 223. I know that the 223's ballistics aren't quite what a 22-250's are, but I think it would be a good "everyday rifle" that I could use for anything from practice rounds to varminting to coyote/predator hunting. Anybody care to elaborate or talk me into something one way or another? If was planning on just using it only when I was coyote hunting, I would be more swayed toward a 22-250, but if I want to shoot a good amount of rounds through it, I am thinking a 223 would be a great gun.

I think you need to first ask yourself if you are going to save the pelt(s) or not. Many guys are just doing predator control and not interested in retaining the hides - just helping out a land owner and getting in some field time. If that fits your situation then do not monkey with varmint loads in a big game rifle. My 130gr load is very distructive on coyotes leaving melon size exit holes. I have no reason to believe a lighter weight bullet would not exit unless it was loaded down to 2,400 fps or so. A max load 130gr or 87gr (or whatever) 270 load is way over the top for collecting pelts. Bottom line, bring a half dozen garbage/leaf bags with you when you go coyote hunting with a 270 Win.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.