.270Win Chamber too small

Thanx Dave but, since I live in Namibia (Soutern Africa) the different time zones and telephone costs might present a problem..

I read the article on this forum on correct F/L die settup, which refined a lot of the processes in that area for me. Will do some research on case lubing as well and see what I can find out.

Must say, I'm already miles ahead on reloading techniques in the last month since joining this site, than previously!

Appreciated

I use the Lee Resizing lubricant, which says on the tube; "If permitted to dry before use, it completely eliminates dented cases, a common problem with oil based lubricants." So that might be the ticket; apply a good amount and let it dry.

But I don't let mine dry, I just put a dab on my finger and apply it directly to the case. I make sure I get lube on the whole thing as I inspect it for damage. When I have it covered I keep wiping with my fingers but I remove, (or spread more evenly,) instead of apply, making sure the shoulder doesn't have a noticeable amount more lube.

When I first used it I was applying too little, (the case would stick during resizing causing vibration,) but I figured out what the right amount was after 10 cases or so. I've never had a dented case.

You can do either the shell holder or the bottom of the die. That will fix you problem and done it more than once.

Redding sells a set of comp shellholders that are .002 variance in height that you can buy that will work also. So that is a proven technique.

As for camming over the press handle. Once you have actual metal to metal contact you are not going to squeeze them any closer by setting the die deeper unless you are the Hulk and can squeeze steel. It just will not cam over as far. So that is normally not a fix that I have seen if we are talking over .002 or so.

Shaving .010 to .020 off the bottom of dies works reliably and is a pretty routine and proven fix again.

Will sized cases chamber without pressure?

if so, then you probably have an OAL issue and need to set the bullet deeper.

Lubing, either Imperial die wax or Dillon spray lube in a cake pan works well.

Might as well buy a stuck case remover from RCBS also. If you reload long enough, you will need it again. Removes the case quite easily without damaging the die too.

BH

Thanx for a informative reply. The problem is definitely not on AOL, since a empty resized also needs a bit of force to close in my 270's chamber.

According to the info the guys supplied in this thread, I can pretty much say for sure that my .270's chamber is right on (very near) ANSI min. headspace spec, and I need to resize to 0.002 less. I haven't tried my new Lee F/L Die Set yet, but might be able to achieve this. I recon that that my Hornady die's dimensions was on the big size anyway, since I couldn't resize cases to min. headspace specs. even with the die set as low as possible.

That stuck case remover is definitely a must...... as they say ... it happened before, and it will happen again!

New brass need less presure to chamber (thus fitting my chamber better).

I measured all of new brass, once fired (fire-formed in my chamber) brass, and resized brass.
The measurements in the RCBS presision mic were as follow:

New: 0.000'
Once fired: -0.0025'
Resized: +0.002'

Will I be correct to assume that my chamber's dimensions will then be {-0.0025' (once-fired case dimension) + 0.0015' (to allow "average case Spring-back") = -0.001' (or 0.001' smaller than ANSI/SAAMI min. specs.?

My rifle is a Walther - barrel build on K98 -mauser action.

I'm gonna leave BH to your #'s as he's been helping you there:). I thought maybe if it was a remmy action that the extractor ring in the bolt face could be causing you problems. I had hard chambering issues and that was the cause. I'm not familiar enough with you set up to comment.

Hope this helps-----from a post I did a while back on this same question:

When I lube cases, it is very simple:

--place cases in a wooden loading block skipping every other hole

--Spray lube (I use Hornady) at an angle so you are getting some into the inside of the neck using even strokes and consistent distance from the cases

--turn block 90 degrees and repeat

Let dry for a few minutes then size----even my big 338 Slowpoke (338 Lapua variant) cases size with Very Little Effort and are always consistently sized.

Trick I learned from Speedy..

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.