270SS and 175 gamechanger (tgk) strikes

Idaho Trecker

Finally after 30 or so days of hunting on an early elk tag, that is basically a depredation hunt to help farmers, I was able to have some elk stay on the property I had permission for. Even hunting private land I put in a ton of time and miles hiking around and I'm pretty sure the elk know property lines haha.
At 10 minutes until shooting hours closed I finally saw an elk head pop up above the skyline, and another until there were seven elk in view on the wrong property. Luckily they headed my way and crossed the magic line which gave me time to get the leica and kestrel up and rifle settled. Unfortunately it was to dark for the camera to video. I picked out a good looking cow and ranged her up at 780 and dialed up the 270ss. I dialed up 20.25 minutes and sent the 175 grain gamechanger starting out at 2750 fps from the 19.5" barrel. She took a few hesitant steps and then trotted for a second but didnt act hit. Ranged again at 730 yards and sent a second. She trotted for 30 yards or so and tipped over for the end.
After having got to her and gutting her out I then had to do a vehicle swap and get the horses and trailer loaded up. The horses dragging her out was pretty uneventful luckily but by the time we got her back home, quartered, and hung it was 2 am.
I was able to recover one bullet and still need to do more looking to see if I hit her with both shots or just one and the bullet went in and did a 90degree turn. The recovered bullet was 136 grains. The core of these is a pretty hard alloy and with my speed starting out and the retained speed and energy I'd say 800 yards is probably max for my setup. I'd have no hesitation to shoot an elk or anything big even up close through heavy bone with the construction of the bullet.

20210911_200447.jpg20210912_005445.jpg20210912_080730.jpg20210912_070330.jpg20210911_195512.jpg

Last edited:
Finally after 30 or so days of hunting on an early elk tag, that is basically a depredation hunt to help farmers, I was able to have some elk stay on the property I had permission for. Even hunting private land I put in a ton of time and miles hiking around and I'm pretty sure the elk know property lines haha.
At 10 minutes until shooting hours closed I finally saw an elk head pop up above the skyline, and another until there were seven elk in view on the wrong property. Luckily they headed my way and crossed the magic line which gave me time to get the leica and kestrel up and rifle settled. Unfortunately it was to dark for the camera to video. I picked out a good looking cow and ranged her up at 780 and dialed up the 270ss. I dialed up 20.25 minutes and sent the 175 grain gamechanger starting out at 2750 fps from the 19.5" barrel. She took a few hesitant steps and then trotted for a second but didnt act hit. Ranged again at 730 yards and sent a second. She trotted for 30 yards or so and tipped over for the end.
After having got to her and gutting her out I then had to do a vehicle swap and get the horses and trailer loaded up. The horses dragging her out was pretty uneventful luckily but by the time we got her back home, quartered, and hung it was 2 am.
I was able to recover one bullet and still need to do more looking to see if I hit her with both shots or just one and the bullet went in and did a 90degree turn. The recovered bullet was 136 grains. The core of these is a pretty hard alloy and with my speed starting out and the retained speed and energy I'd say 800 yards is probably max for my setup. I'd have no hesitation to shoot an elk or anything big even up close through heavy bone with the construction of the bullet.

View attachment 297340View attachment 297341View attachment 297342View attachment 297343View attachment 297344

gives me a good idea on my down range performance of my 270win.

i've looked at the 175gr and may end up getting some to see how they do in my rifle.

thanks for sharing

Been wanting to do a lighter weight 270 of some flavour build for some time!! This just makes me more eager to start it. Was going do something else first but maybe I'll change my plan of attack and see if I can get it together for next season! 270 wsm on a long action im thinking

Been wanting to do a lighter weight 270 of some flavour build for some time!! This just makes me more eager to start it. Was going do something else first but maybe I'll change my plan of attack and see if I can get it together for next season! 270 wsm on a long action im thinking
Been thinking the same thing, but I'm going to be doing a 27 Sherman Mag. I've got the reamer already and action just need to round up the barrel and stock. It should push these heavy 175's pretty good.

Been thinking the same thing, but I'm going to be doing a 27 Sherman Mag. I've got the reamer already and action just need to round up the barrel and stock. It should push these heavy 175's pretty good.
Right on!! Sherman's are too much money in Canada to get brass, reamers and stuff for. So I'll be doing a 270 wsm I'm pretty sure,

175 gamechanger

is only a .560 BC above 1900 fps and requires a 8 twist. I'm a 270 win and 270AI man with 29 inch barrels 9 twist. I tried matrix 175 VLD hunting and the 165 matrix. Berger has an excellent 170 EOL with .662 BC.

IMO 270 case just doesn't hold enough powder to effectively use much over 165 grains or 170. the point of diminishing returns of the super heavy going way to slow

175 gamechanger

is only a .560 BC above 1900 fps and requires a 8 twist. I'm a 270 win and 270AI man with 29 inch barrels 9 twist. I tried matrix 175 VLD hunting and the 165 matrix. Berger has an excellent 170 EOL with .662 BC.

IMO 270 case just doesn't hold enough powder to effectively use much over 165 grains or 170. the point of diminishing returns of the super heavy going way to slow
And what does this have to do with my 270 Sherman Short and the results I had? I am fully aware of the specs it has. I know full well that it has a low bc and a mile long bearing surface too. I have an 8 twist and am fully stable. Also a super short barrel so I would expect a 270 win or AI throated properly and the right powder (probably rl26) with a barrel of your length to do at least 100fps faster than me.
To me the construction of every bullet (I love having choices) has a different purpose. With the construction of this I wanted it specifically for elk from point blank to 800 yards because of the thicker jacket and what seems to be a harder alloy core.

175 gamechanger

I noticed the bc on this bullet and was a tad perplexed as well. At least as far as external ballistics goes, the high bc 150s (Nosler ablr, Berger vld, 145 eld x, etc) smoke this thing. However I know terminal ballistics is another matter and with conventional lead cores I've always found weight is a good thing.

To me it looks like they just wanted to win the heaviest 270 bullet game and just took the 150 gameking added weight to the bearing surface and a poly tip.
Here is the line up of 270 bullets I have to try. 150 lrab 165 lrab 175 gamechanger 170 Berger 165 matrix.
I'm very pleased with my results.

Attachments

• 20210409_134249.jpg
    20210409_134249.jpg
    524.3 KB · Views: 120
Looks like it did what you wanted which is ALL we can hope for! Were the drops pretty good or did you have to adjust a lot against what was published for it?

I ran a ladder with the 175TGK out of my .270TH (Win). Link to LRH thread. I hit over 2900 with RL26 before I got faint ejector mark but it was also with Hornady brass. This was 27" Light Palma, 1:8, 5R, 0.290 freebore added, so have some extra burn time. I haven't had time to find a load yet with it since I have settled in on the 156HH at 3200. All the loads shot in cluster at 100 yards so I bet it will do fine.
LINK: 175 TGK

in bench rest shooting with a chrono with 270 win cases and Wildcat 169.5 I danced between Retumbo, r-25, r-26, ramshot magnum powders. I tried mag primers and large rifle. My friends with wsm and Weatherby have an advantage

Oh I have .250 freebore making it a single shot for long heavy rounds. 8 pound 29 inch barrel.

I'm surprised at the poster with a 19.5 inch, but great long shots! :)

in bench rest shooting with a chrono with 270 win cases and Wildcat 169.5 I danced between Retumbo, r-25, r-26, ramshot magnum powders. I tried mag primers and large rifle. My friends with wsm and Weatherby have an advantage

Oh I have .250 freebore making it a single shot for long heavy rounds. 8 pound 29 inch barrel.

I'm surprised at the poster with a 19.5 inch, but great long shots! :)
I had a 27" with 1:8 twist 270 Sherman that did some really good speed considering the 270 win parent (about 5-7% more capacity than AI). I built this rifle with a purpose in mind which is why I went with the short barrel. This is a hunting rifle that was planned to be fairly lightweight and stay short with my new toy (first one for me). I actually got the call I was good to go the afternoon before I shot my elk but wasnt soon enough to make the 2 hour drive to get it.
I am considering doing a bigger 270 something if I can actually get chinchaga to make some bullets for me.
Here is the "new" setup.
20210916_172142.jpg20210916_172112.jpg