270Shermam/Commercial FN Mauser

Coldfinger

Any professional or tinkerer thoughts about the 270 Sherman cartridge and Commercial FN 98 Mauser action compatibility? I've had the action awhile and only fired .308 Winchester out a barrel i had floating around. For some odd reason 270 Sherm and a slower twist barrel is screaming my name. If my plan comes together I'll be using it from elk to chipmunks!

Any professional or tinkerer thoughts about the 270 Sherman cartridge and Commercial FN 98 Mauser action compatibility? I've had the action awhile and only fired .308 Winchester out a barrel i had floating around. For some odd reason 270 Sherm and a slower twist barrel is screaming my name. If my plan comes together I'll be using it from elk to chipmunks!
I wouldn't limit yourself with a slower twist rate though- the Sherman gives you more capacity by far and is capable of pushing heavier bullets, but a faster twist won't hurt your lighter bullets either

Anyone got a OAL of loaded rounds for that cartridge? Commercial '98s are right around 3.34" mag box on the inside.
My JC Higgins FN Mauser magbox is 3.400" inside measurement. It's chambered in 270 win.

After I posted I found the load data. Found load data, but no print. It looks like the magazine box on a commercial '98 will require lengthening or custom bottom metal used..

Last edited:
After I posted I found the load data. Found load data, but no print. It looks like the magazine box on a commercial '98 will require lengthening or custom bottom metal used..
That's part of the reason for my struggle using my Mauser for a build.

That's part of the reason for my struggle using my Mauser for a build.
Swift Bullets bought Blackburn Bottom Metal. You might call them and ask what the inside length of their .30/06 box is. They make longer, but designed for magnum cases. Other than that, might have to have some 'real' gunsmithing done to lengthen that box, then the bolt stop would need altered if there's enough 'meat' in it. I'd have to look over my .375 H&H action to determine if a unique bolt stop/ejector box is used or what. Using shorter bullets than what is in the loading data might be an option