270 wsm

jackG

I've been hunting with a Tikki T3 Lite for several years. I'm shooting a 270 wsm cartridge and I'm pretty happy with it. The open country I hunt may involve some long shots. The rifle is reasonably accurate but everything I've read suggests that Savage is substantially more accurate at long range.

Does Savage make a SS, heavy barreled hunting rifle in 270 WSM? I've browsed their home page and I'm not seeing it.

I think Savage quit the Model 12 FVSS last year, I shoot one in a 270 WSM that has been rebarreled and it is great long range medicine with a 165 Matrix. It would be no problem getting one from the Savage custom shop at a reasonable price from what I've heard.

The Tikka came in at 6lb 6oz and it does knock me around some. Even with a Kahles 4-12X52 and a Harris bipod. I was looking for the added rigidity of a heavy barrel as well as the added weight. Every pound counts.

I could buy one and get a heavy barrel replacement for the standard tube. However, that would also require a replacement stock or a reworking of a wood one. I need to think about this. As noted above, the Savages are apparently really accurate. I even looked at the Varmint and tactical units but none are in that caliber and they are heavier than I want to drag around.

Thanks for the information.

I dont own a savage, but I think you're going to have a hard time beating the accuracy of the tikka in that price range. I do own a tikka and it's a one-holer.

I have a T3 270 wsm and have taken game out to 721 yards. It shoots all handloads .5 moa or better.

The 165 Matrix bullets are hard to beat for long range accuracy in an already outstanding gun.

Savage custom shop can roll you whatever you like but the Model 12 decked out will be around 12.5 lbs, I lugged it around a lot and it sucked, it's now 14.5 lbs and I don't lug it at all. You may be much better of rebarreling you current rifle with a new tube and stock for the same money as a new rifle.

I've been hunting with a Tikki T3 Lite for several years. I'm shooting a 270 wsm cartridge and I'm pretty happy with it. The open country I hunt may involve some long shots. The rifle is reasonably accurate but everything I've read suggests that Savage is substantially more accurate at long range.

Savage doesn't have any advantage in theoretical accuracy over the theoretical accuracy Tikka already comes with at no extra charge...so try shooting your rifle at longer range and see how it does.

TC

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.