270 wsm

col48

Hi this is my first post hear.
And i bet this has been covered before,so sorry in advance.
I have a custom 270 wsm 25in barrel McMillan stock jewel trigger and so on.
What would be the best weight bullets,for long range, light or heavy,130 or 135 140 or 150.
What kind of range will they be effective on deer,(after plenty of range work)I am just starting out in long range and would like as much help as possible,is there any threads on here i should read.or any where else on the net.
I am looking for as much info on it as possible.
so any info at all will be very much appreciated.
thanks Colin
PS i know nothing at all on long range.

well first off welcome and glad to see that sombody wants to spend time at the range before shootin at amimals right off the bat

Typicaly for long range work ie 400yds+ the heavier high BC bullets work better as the BC (ballistic coeffeciet) will help keep the bullets speed and buck the wind better than the fast light bullets.
For long range deer hunting I like the Nosler Ballistic tip bullets they have a high BC and they expand well on deer size game even after the bullet has sowed down at say 800yds so I guess my recomendation would be the 150gr Nosler Ballistic tip. The key is not to get hung up on velocity your far better giving up a couple hundred feet per second if it cuts your groups in half , no matter how fast you get your bullet to fly you'll never be able to MISS a deer fast enough to kill it !!

hello, i also shoot a custom made 270wsm. i shoot 140 accubonds out of my rifle for deer. the 140 accubond has a high BC and gets good enough muzzle velocity to last well at long distanced. i get around 3250 FPS out of my rifle with H4831sc. good luck and you are shooting one hell of a round!

Hello Colin, welcome to LRH, nice to see more UK members venturing out!

You may not have the right twist rate to go above 140 - 150 grainers, but, it might be worthwhile looking at Wildcat Bullets (Canada) to see if they do anything heavier, if you do a search on 270 Allen Magnum, you should get some interesting information back about the long range potential of the .270 with the right bullets.

Perhaps Kirby could advise here?

Welcome buddy!

Get some RL 22 or IMR 7828 stuff 66 grains of it in a case (please work up) and seat a 150 Nosler Ballistic tip on top. Should get 3150 fps or so and great accuracy. If you see an elk close up neck, spine or lung him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pop
if i do that it will be the longest shot ever,on a elk
i live in the UK.he he he.
i have got some vit n165 to try,and i don't think we can get imr over hear.
can you get a email when some one replies on hear.if so how.
is there any books or DVD or vids out there i can get to help on the way.i like to try and find out as much info as i can.thanks
col

[ QUOTE ]
Hello Colin, welcome to LRH, nice to see more UK members venturing out!

You may not have the right twist rate to go above 140 - 150 grainers, but, it might be worthwhile looking at Wildcat Bullets (Canada) to see if they do anything heavier, if you do a search on 270 Allen Magnum, you should get some interesting information back about the long range potential of the .270 with the right bullets.

Perhaps Kirby could advise here?

[/ QUOTE ]

hi Andy
i have had the barrel made for 130 to 150. 1 in 10 twist.

I shoot 140 grain Hornady sst's. These aren't a bonded bullet, but I believe they are tough enough for deer. These bullets have a high bc: .495. Which is why I chose them. I didn't see a bonded core bullet with as high a bc.

Should take you to 1k with load development and practice. The 270 wsm is fantastic. Have fun.

My dad also shoots the 140g sst out of his 270 wsm. velocity is 3300fps and its a very nice accurate load, and hits pretty dang hard for a 270. Dont really see a need for a bonded bullet for deer. The other good choice is a 150g btip, they also have a high BC, but are a little more expensive then the Hornadys.

Hi Col,
Nice to see you over here, its a fantastic sight you can learn alot from the guys here as i have found out.
Andy beat me to the Wildcat bullets mention but i think they do a 169grn rebated base bullet with massive BC.

Ian. (aka Whistlin Jack)

hi center punch,(w,j)
i have been doing a search for said bullets but can not find them.
can you set this up like gun trader so you get a email when some one reply,

Hi Col,
No you cant set up this site like you do on Guntrader, you can only get email alert for PM's or favorite thread.

There has been so much written about Wildcat bullets it would be impossible to link you to all of it but here is something to be going on with:
http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post91697

Also Richards website:
http://wildcatbullets.com/

to search for more info on Wildcat bullets on this site enter the user name Fiftydriver, one of our resident LR gunsmiths/guru's

Ian.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.