.270 WSM or 6.5 Rem Mag

Slick

I have experience with the 6.5 round for long range work, I shoot about 100 rds a month with one. Anyway, is the .270 WSM easier on throats and will it hold up out past 600 yds as far as B/C goes there is not a lot of difference within he two. I am in the processs of converting a .300 to a different round. Will use it for L/R targets, hunting and steel. Thanks in advance for the responses.

I'm a 270 WSM fan myself. I fling 140 Accubonds, but Matrix bullets has a 165 gr ,& a 175? gr bullet with a .6?? BC, & if you like Bergers, they're chiming out with a 160 or 165 soon.
Bigngreen has video of him Smokin an Elk at 800+ with his 270WSM & Matrix bullets. I think he was running a faster twist on his latest barrel.
Fling him a PM. He's pretty knowledgeable on the issue.

I've never understood the need for the .270 caliber in general. Ballistics of the 6.5 and 7mm are equal to or far better in most cases. Also, the aftermarket is stronger in 6.5 and 7mm......to each his own.....

I've never understood the need for the .270 caliber in general. Ballistics of the 6.5 and 7mm are equal to or far better in most cases. Also, the aftermarket is stronger in 6.5 and 7mm......to each his own.....

I agree to each his own, but you aught look at the new bullets being offered. They more than hold thier own against both the 264, & 284, & in a lot if cases, flat blow thier doors off.

I look at it different than some folks I guess, cause all my rifles have to pull double duty, & hunt Elk. My personal minimum for Elk is a 270. Look at the S.D. & you'll see why. So for me, the 264 isn't anything id need in my gun cabinet. The 7mm, in my view is a waste of time when I can have a 300 or 338 which also both surpass the 7 in every way except recoil with the current bullets being offered.
I know both will Kill Elk, & have killed Elk, but they just don't fit my personal needs.
Now I'm not criticizing anyone else's view, or opinions, or hunting styles. I know of many folks who own one or the other & like them for thier purposes, or intended use. But for my hunting style, they don't fit the bill.

I had put my 270 WSM together about 4 yrs ago and hadn't messed with it much until til lately when I saw the BC of the Matrix 165 gr bullet. I shoot the Sierra 150 BTSP at 3200 fps so I should easily be able to reach 3000+ fps. Now I don't see any reason for the 6.5 and I own one or the 7mm Mag which I also own.
Now if someone would make 8MM VLD bullets about 220 gr or heavier for my 8mm mag and I would see no reason for the 30's or 338
but that's me

The 270 WSM can have very similar ballistics to the upper end 6.5's but where it shines is you can take it past what a 6.5 is capable of and even past what the 7mm's of similar size will do just because of the upper class of BC bullets available to the 270. In hunting the 270 can far outclass the 6.5 due to the availability of 165+gr bullets, if your twisted correctly to utilize them. Throat life will be a little better with the 270 WSM but it's not going to double or anything like that.

My dad shoots a 6.5 Sherman using a 140 Berger at 3150 and I shoot a 270 WSM using a 165 Matrix idling at 3053fps and there is just no comparison when the bullets land at long range, he can wail away at a little plate we shoot and I hit it once and it flips the plate and craters it. I also have a range advantage, I don't think twice about wackn an elk at ranges the 6.5 is maxing out.

With the 170 Berger coming, and if people start twisting their 270 up to a 8.5-9 twist there just is not advantage to a 6.5 or even a med sized 7mms, one 270 covers it all better gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.