270 WSM or 27 Nosler build for 170 Bergers

roadhunter

Trying to decide on my next build. I have 1-8 twist Brux #4 and building on a Rem 700 Long Ultra mag action. I want to run the 170 EOL Bergers at about 3000 fps, and can't decide if I want to do a long throated 270 WSM or a 27 Nosler. Any input or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug

If 3k is your speed goal, I think the 27 nosler will be a quite mild load, and the 270wsm will be running top end to get there. I assume a 26" barrel and long freebore would be used on both chambers for optimal seating of the 170. The nice thing about the nosler case, it has a long neck, leaving plenty of room to chase lands or to try the 165/175 matrix bullets as they can now ship to the US again. Regardless of case, I think H1000/Retumbo would be a good powder choices to keep flame temp down and promote barrel life.

I think either case will get you there with room to spare with the right powder and throating. Maybe to end for h-1000 in the wsm but with rl-26, n-565 or n-570 no problem. I'm running 3100 out of a 27" 270 sherman with rl-26. One of Rich's 270ss's will get you to 3000 with a 26"bbl. I think though with a rum action I'd be tempted to go for the nosler and have higher goals.

Thank for the info. Yep, barrel will finish at 26" and planning on the long throat on either. I got new 8lb'ers of both Rel 26 and Rel 33 so 27 Nosler might be the ticket.

PM bigngreen here on our forum he has built many 270wsm's,I'm a 270wsm fan but mines just factory wrong twist ,as far as brass is concerned I'd think the 300 win/mag necked down to 270 would be cheapest to run all around , just my opinions ,your build ,cheers go 270 ! Ps,weaver rifles of CO, builds 270/300 w/mag rifles ,mite be worth a phone call ,Cheers x2

welcome you are RH, good on you having a 7/300 already , i'm always thinking cheaper brass lol, agreeing with you thks, cheers!!!

I shoot a 270 WSM on a long action. I built it specifically for the 170. I can assure you 3000 is not close to the top end for speed. I hit 3200 easy enough. Settled in at 3150.
I have no experience with the nosler, I am sure it can hit 3k easy as well.
the 170 is a killer for sure, and it is easy enough to work up loads for.
Ialso have a Sherman 6.5 short that can sniff these speeds with 156's. So good luck!

Trying to decide on my next build. I have 1-8 twist Brux #4 and building on a Rem 700 Long Ultra mag action. I want to run the 170 EOL Bergers at about 3000 fps, and can't decide if I want to do a long throated 270 WSM or a 27 Nosler. Any input or advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug
Do you like to shoot the rifle you hunt with, or do you believe in shooting a little but making up for a lack of trigger time by sending it as fast as possible?
If the 27 Nos is anything like the others barrel life will be super short.
Think 500-700 if you're lucky

I shoot a 270 WSM on a long action. I built it specifically for the 170. I can assure you 3000 is not close to the top end for speed. I hit 3200 easy enough. Settled in at 3150.
Ialso have a Sherman 6.5 short that can sniff these speeds with 156's. So good luck!
Elk Fire, Glad to hear the 170's are working! Just out of curiosity what powder are you using with the 270 WSM? Also how long your overall length ended up with the 170's. Just playing around with some cases it looks like 3.100" might put them out long enough. thanks

Do you like to shoot the rifle you hunt with, or do you believe in shooting a little but making up for a lack of trigger time by sending it as fast as possible?
If the 27 Nos is anything like the others barrel life will be super short.
Think 500-700 if you're lucky
I like to shoot my rifles, but I have a bunch so I try not to pound the rounds down the big magnums much once I get them dialed in and verify drops. I save the high volume shoots for my creedmoor.

Barrel length and powder choice please? You must have gotten a pretty fast barrel as that sounds awfully quick from everyone else experience. Usually 270wsm w/ 26" barrel tops out around 3050 w/ 170s. If you have a 26-28" Broughton and using rl26 I guess I can see where you're speed is coming from.

Last edited:
My barrel is 27" heart. I use Retumbo. The barrel is throated out to use the 170, and still have all the case to work with. They will not fit in a short action. 3200 was on the hot side for sure, but not blowing primers or super hard to open etc.. but accuracy was better when I came back down a bit. 3k was easy to get to though.
OAL is just over 3.1

I've never seen a 170 go over 3100 fps in a 270 WSM, a typical stout load of Retumbo under a 150 will be 3200-3250 fps in a 26 inch barrel, norm is 2950-3000 fps for a throated 270 WSM with a 170 Berger for almost all I've built, I run around a 3.125 COAL. The 3000 fps ish is the sweet spot for the 170 from what I've seen on elk, bullet performs excellent from 75 yards out to 900 yards so far, you really don't need to push them faster to get the performance.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.