270 wsm or 257 weatherby

Muley73

I am looking for set up a new deer rifle. Would like it to be something I am comfortable with out to 800 yrds. Just looking for some input on what everyones thoughts are on these two calibers? I would probably be starting with a remington rifle and go from there.

Thanks,
Cody

Cody,
I have owned a 270WSM before and was impressed by its ballistics. The brass for the WSM will be cheaper than the Weatherby and more plentiful. Neither caliber have as much of a bullet selection as the 7mm or .30 cal, but Berger and Nosler (AccuBond) make good bullets for both the .257 and .277. In the right setup (trued action, 26-28" barrel, right load) the WSM will perform very similar to the 7mmRM. The .257 Weatherby is a dynamite cartridge in its own right, however. Given the same platform advantage, I feel it will holds it's own with cartridges up to 6.5-06, power and ballistics wise. Unless a faster twist barrel is spun on and the heavier (120+) pills, like the Wildcats, are used. All bets are off then. Tough decision. Have fun :) JohnnyK.

My nod goes to the 270WSM. Berger makes a 150grn VLD with a BC of .531. It will be plenty of bullet to knock down a deer at 800yrds.

Tank

Last edited:
Owned both I liked the 257 a little better, but like what was said more expensive to reload for. I have gotten rid of both and built a 7wsm since then. By far one of my favorite calibers. That is until it's big brother shows up in a couple of months.

Brent

Last edited:
I really like both the .25 and .270 cals for killing deer, one of my favorite is a 250AI and I would think the 257WBY would 300-400fps better. I also shoot a 270 WSM which will smoke them out there also, I am easily pushing the 110TTSX at 3670 fps, recoil is so mild it almost funny.
Running some ballistic cals, they are close but you can get the 270 WSM to do more with the wider range of bullets that will work for deer at longer range. The 110 TTSX will top out at 800 yrds but you can load 130 Bergers to 169.5 Wildcats for it also maybe giving you more wiggle room. You may have to be more careful with the 257 WBY bullet choices.
I would assume the 257WBY would be harder on barrels.
In short it's a toss up for me, but I prefer the 270WSM :rolleyes: The ideal solution is one of each!!! :D

I have not done any of the math yet......but once you throw 800 yards in the mix I would argue AGAINST the 257. I am not sure I would argue FOR the WSM either!!!! 7MM WSM would be a better choice.

The only one of these I have any experiance with is the 257, so take the above with that in mind!!

And +2 buy them both!!:D

270 WSM, 150 Berger VLD, .531 BC, will smoke the .25 cal's at long range. The 7mm WSM is a great choice also, but factory rifle selection is limited.

I love my 257 Bee, but the 110/120gr bullets are not ideal for 700yds. The 150gr .270 is better, but I would agree with the others that suggested you move up to the 7mm. My 7mm Bee with 180gr Bergers makes a good long range combo.

I love my 257 Bee, but the 110/120gr bullets are not ideal for 700yds. The 150gr .270 is better, but I would agree with the others that suggested you move up to the 7mm. My 7mm Bee with 180gr Bergers makes a good long range combo.

Other than a furry yet skeletal type creature in which collects honey... what's a 7mm Bee and 25 Bee?

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.