Porcupine

Hey guys, pretty new to reloading and having trouble coming up with a good load for my Kimber 8400 270 WSM. So far I have been using 145g ELD-X with RL-22 & 17. My gun would shoot factory AB well so I'm thinking of ordering a box of 150g LRAB.

Thoughts or help is greatly appreciated

The ELD-Xs should shoot better that the ABLR. Try some RL-26. I just got through working up a load for my sons 270 WSM at 2.90 COAL. I used Win Brass and it shot 3 touching at 64.0 grs but you need to work up to that load.

The ELD-Xs should shoot better that the ABLR. Try some RL-26. I just got through working up a load for my sons 270 WSM at 2.90 COAL. I used Win Brass and it shot 3 touching at 64.0 grs but you need to work up to that load.
I'd love to use RL-26, between it and H4350 they are the unicorns of reloading powders in my area. If I can find some I'll give that load a try. Thank you

The ABLR will shoot well but everyone wants to treat them like a Berger and jam them on the lands. I've got them to shoot in my 270 wsm, 7mm mag and 300 win mag. In all three of these rifles they were seated with some jump. For my 270 wsm I use 67 to 69 grains of Retumbo, mag CCI 250 primers, Nosler brass. 2.88 oal. They shoot. 145 ELD-X shot really well with Magpro and Reloder 23.

Might also try RL-23 or even IMR 7828ssc. Both of these powders will work in my 270wsm. The way the powder supply is nowadays, doesn't hurt to have a backup load.

IMR 4451 - 60 to 61 grains 140 Siera Game Kings or140 Berger VLD Hunting both bullets shoot fine in my rifle with 215M primers. 61 grains with the 145 Hornady ELD-X gave me an SD of 4.1 but the Sierra and Bergers grouped better out of my rifle

I've had a sako 85 270 wsm for 11 years. I have not tried any RL powders to date as IMR 7828ssc gives me outstanding results.
With 145eldx with 70 gains on a magazine tight fit load I'm getting 3250fps and with a single feed COL 0.10" off the lands with 70.3 grns 7828ssc giving 3330fps.
The accuracy is outstanding. At 200m ,5 shot group with 4 overlapping on the target. The ssc gives better velocity than standard 7828, so I would think RL 26 would work well also. I have a dpt suppressor fitted which adds about 30 fps. These loads are at the high end so you would need to start off well below this power charge.

The eldx is a great bullet, biggest thing I've found is finding that right seating depth. I ran it with rl 26 and got 3200 (max ejector Mark) with a standard 270, accuracy was never better than an inch. I grabbed a lb of imr4350 and played with the seating depth. Once I got it, I switched back to rl 26 and reworked my charges, and it shoots lights out. A 140 accubond, 140 Sierra gamechanger or 145 eldx will take the cake in the accuracy dept. best wishes, don't forget about the magpro as someone mentioned as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.