.270 WSM Help

buzz4me2

I have an opportunity to obtain a Browning Xbolt Composite Stalker in .270 WSM or a Mathews No Cam bow. I'm really not in a need for either but am leaning towards the .270 WSM.

Does anyone have any input on the Xbolt and accuracy? I'd want to have the rifle shoot out to 500 yards. I'd also do my own load development but would be interested what folks have had success with. I've been told to try and see how the 155 VLD bergers shoot out of it. I was also hoping to use H1000 powder since that's what I shoot out of my .338RUM.

I'd also be interested in scope suggestions. I'd prefer to have a scope I could dial in the MOA for the shoot to distance. I currently shoot LR and my go too gun is a .338RUM built by Kirby Allen. I love that gun but it's 12lbs and this rifle gives me the possibility of taking a lighter gun on back pack hunts. Which I don't do a lot of but will be taking 1 next year on Kodiak Island for Mountain Goat.

Thanks

H4350 and 140 Nosler Accubonds shoot .4 or less in my buddies Abolt. It was shooting 1.25 or less. We bedded the action and floated the barrel and it shot 2.5 or worse. After some research we added bedding material to the front of the stock and hung a gallon of water of the front sling mount while it dried overnight. Next day took it out to shoot same loads and it now shoots .4 or less.
Seems the light weight barrels (in this gun anyway) like about 8 lbs of up pressure at the front of the stock.
Just bought a 270 in an Abolt and it shoots just as well with hand loads. They both needed spring upgrades in the trigger. They break clean, just need to be lightened up.
Great gun in my opinion.

shot a weatherby vanguard 2 in 270wsm 400-700 yards load the 160 gr. by woodleigh wind not usually an issue...zeiss 5x25 conquest scope z-plex 800 yd reticle...hard to beat, great for antelope and those snoozing mountain side muley's

My son has a composite stock x-bolt which happens to be at my house right now. It is an accurate rifle but a couple of weeks ago I took it out shooting and the stock, which originally felt like a hard rubber, has become very sticky. So much so that I tried to wash it with soap and water then dry it with a paper towel but the paper stuck to it and ripped all to pieces. I don't know if it got an oil film on it when cleaning and the rubber is just breaking down or what but it is so bad that I told him that we may need to replace the stock. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but I will never have another.

My son has a composite stock x-bolt which happens to be at my house right now. It is an accurate rifle but a couple of weeks ago I took it out shooting and the stock, which originally felt like a hard rubber, has become very sticky. So much so that I tried to wash it with soap and water then dry it with a paper towel but the paper stuck to it and ripped all to pieces. I don't know if it got an oil film on it when cleaning and the rubber is just breaking down or what but it is so bad that I told him that we may need to replace the stock. I don't know if anyone else has had this problem but I will never have another.

There are lots of reports of problems with the Duratouch finish online. It does feel nice in the hand when new though.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.