270 wsm hammer bullets

westcoasthunter

I have a 270 wsm with 1-9twist barrel 26" . I was wonder what kinda speed people are getting with the 117gr and 126gr hammer hunters and what powder you are using? Will use it for hunting 0-500yards or so . From totes up to elk .

Not many guys out there with fast twist 27's. We have a customer that runs the 27wsm that I think had some data on those two bullets.

I would look for 3450 and 3550 fps with them.

Steve

Not many guys out there with fast twist 27's. We have a customer that runs the 27wsm that I think had some data on those two bullets.

I would look for 3450 and 3550 fps with them.

Steve

Do you know what kinds powder they are using? And would you recommend one of those bullets over another?

Got hold of our 27wsm customer. Said he would chime in. A couple years ago he shot a big bull in MT with the 117g Hammer Hunter at nearly 600y. Dropped him on the spot.

Steve

With the 117 hammers my 1-10 24" liked the h4831 the best i used Nosler 110 data. 65gr gave me 3450 consistent 3/4 moa in different elevations and humidity levels so that was the what i used on a nice Bull and a muley a couple years ago. The 126 hammers liked rl22 the best, again i used Nosler data 130gr. 62gr gave me 3330. So far my experience with hammer bullets load development is they seem to like mild to hot loads. But not always, if i had a 9 twist i would try that rl23 and 126 hammers and see where it goes. H1000 is always a good choice
Happy shooting

I think if I were loading this rifle for myself I would go with the 126g Hammer Hunter. RL-23 would also be my 1st choice. A start load of 62g should be good. I think SnowDingo's 3330fps should be a mild load. Each rifle is different though. 3400fps should be doable in a 24" barrel.

Look forward to hearing your results.

Steve

What's the 177 Hammer hunter bc? The AB has it at .237 and you .313
This is tough for me to figure out. If I use Litz number it will shoot over targets until you get out much past it's usable range. The .313g7 was spot on with a 28 wsm out to the 1000y mark. Seems that every rifle will have it's own bc characteristic. All I want from our published bc is to get our customers on target so they can make their own bc determination from there. In fact bc is not a high consideration for our hunting bullets. Accuracy and terminal performance are by far more important. After that comes bc. The 177g 28cal bullet is one of our most popular bullets. To my knowledge guys are not having trouble with bc. .237g7 is very low. If you run the bullet well past its usable hunting range it may play out. I think Sierra does bc the best with 3 bc values depending on the vel of the bullet. I think it is difficult to use one bc from muzzle to the end of flight. The .313 g7 bc is based on a form factor of 1. Our Hammer Hunter line of bullets seem to fall between a form factor of 1 and 1.1. As form factors go 1 is good not great. At a form factor of 1.1 the g7 bc would be .285. I would say that a good usable number for your system should fall into this area. I've had customers contact me and say that our bc is not high enough. I finally quit worrying about it.

We found that our 155g 28 cal was not running bc as high as it should. After examining the bullet trying to figure out why, we noticed that there was an error in the program that put a slight flat spot at the shoulder. So small that you could not see it. When we changed this the bc ran correctly out to 830y. Pryor to the change it was hitting a full moa low at this distance. This stuff is way more finicky than I would have ever thought. Brian is in the process of checking all of the programs to be sure we do not have this error in any others.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts