.270 WSM All-purpose load

Thanks Guys for the input, after sevral load's, charges, and seating depths I've thrown in the white towel. I have gone to a combined technolagy bullet and My gun seems to realy like it. The Elk hunt starts next week so I can't experiment any longer this year. so thanks again.

I too am working up a new reload for my 270wsm. The rifle is a Weatherby Vanguard and has been a great shooter so far. Sights are a Nikon 3x9x40 with BDC. I have been shooting Winchester factory 140 gr. Accubonds but have now begun my reload workup. Used for hunting deer, bear and coyotes. Today I loaded a beginning load to try this weekend. I just wondered if others thought this should be nin the ballpark.Note: I would have likede to try the Magpro powder but do not have any and time is tight. I used new Winchester brass ( Is is just me or did they cheapen up the brass they sell. It seemed very rough around the case mouth with dents etc.. I do not remember seeing this before)? Anyway I primed them with Wichester magnum rifle primers and loaded in 62.5 grains of IMR-4350. The bullets I decided to try for the first time is Barnes TSXbt 140 Gr. Iv'e never hunted with these bullets but I wanted to try them. I set the COL at 2.805 to start. There are many thoughts out there so I chose this to see how they shot. This should put me just under .040 off
the lands in my gun. I read that doing this seems to work out well for this caliber. It does seem wierd as this bullets seating leaves the top groove in the bullet just showing. Any thoughts are welcome. Shoot well and Shoot Often. They go together.

I've used the Barnes tripple shock .140 grain bullets and they shot real well and killed great on Elk and Deer but I herd they were hard on your barel and would shorten its life. Has anyone herd this too? I went to a combined techology bullet this year. Killed a nice bull with it and it seems to perform alright.

I've been trying to work up a good load for my remmy 700SPS. My last round of three different loads all shot about the same 1-1.5" groups. Trying to tighten those up.

140Gr Accubonds, IMR4350, Win brass, WLR primers.

I see other guys saying they are putting 62-63 grains of powder behind the 140's. According to my Nosler book and their website it says the max load for 4350 is 60.5. Is the load data just shorted that much intentionally?

I've been trying to work up a good load for my remmy 700SPS. My last round of three different loads all shot about the same 1-1.5" groups. Trying to tighten those up.

140Gr Accubonds, IMR4350, Win brass, WLR primers.

I see other guys saying they are putting 62-63 grains of powder behind the 140's. According to my Nosler book and their website it says the max load for 4350 is 60.5. Is the load data just shorted that much intentionally?

Might be about the best you will get with that stock, but am sure there might be some exceptions

Thanks Guys for the input, after sevral load's, charges, and seating depths I've thrown in the white towel. I have gone to a combined technolagy bullet and My gun seems to realy like it. The Elk hunt starts next week so I can't experiment any longer this year. so thanks again.

Just curious did you connect with the combined technology? If so how did they work for you? I shot them on a Mt Goat hunt out of my 06. couldnt get a satisfactry group with the Barnes had a guy suggest combined technolagy. They shot great, three days before my hunt another friend asked what I had decided to go with, when I told him failsafe by combined tech he told me not to use them as he had bad luck with them expanding on an elk hunt put 6 or 8 into it before it went down. I had no time left to work up a load on a new bullet so I stayed with the failsafe. I got my Goat but the combined penciled through like a full metel jacket. Goat are not an animal you want to track because you usually track them to the top of a 800 to 1000 foot drop off look down and there is your goat at the bottom. I was lucky and didn't lose him over a cliff but one of the first things I did was to work up a new load with nosler bullistic tips.

Well I had similar luck on the elk, they seem to be a little too soft and coming apart too quick. It devastated his vitals on the one side but didn't want to push through or knock down. It had similar results on My deer it killed great, just came apart too fast and didn't pass through. I think there just moving too fast with the magnum's and if you make a bad shot you'll have a hard time finding your critter.

My problem was the failsafes were to hard & didnt expand I thought the 06 was to slow for them.
back to the 270 bullet I really like the Matrix 165 but I think the 1 in 10 may be on the edge of stabilizing them I shoot a 1 in 9 rockcreek and they shoot real good. as far as the load I don't have a 270 wsm mine is a custom real close to the 270 wsm it is a 270 AMP (7mm dakota necked down ) 69.5 retumbo fed 215 169.5 wildcat touching the lands
I still have a five hundred wildcats left probably a little more than 1/2 the barrel life I would like to try the 170 berger if I can get my hands on some.
but I really like the Matrix as well and they seem easier to get.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.