270 WSM accuracy

Engineering101

Just got back from the range shooting the new 270 WSM - a Savage Model 12 LPV 300 WSM converted to a 270 WSM with a varmit contour Shilen prefit barrel. Checkout the attached target shot from 200 yards.

The RSO was watching me shoot these through a spotting scope. After I shot the third shot I said to him, "Watch this, I'm going to take out the last corner". He couldn't believe it when I did it. This was great fun and he called some other guys over to take a look through his scope. They couldn't believe it either and said they had never seen anyone shoot that good. Of course they were thinking that I was aiming at each corner of the box as I went. I finally had to fess up that I was aiming dead center on all 4 shots. So my question. What the heck does this say about the rifle what with the bullets going everywhere but dead center?

Attachments

• 270 WSM 140 Accubond 001.jpg
    270 WSM 140 Accubond 001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 650
velvetant

The square is 1 inch on a side. The numbers on the target (by the bullet holes) are the number of shots down the tube. That was the first time out to the range with that rifle. Now that I have the powder burn rate calibrated, I've got some faster stuff loaded for tomorrow and some other bullets - Bergers and Barnes. I expect this rifle will shoot 0.5 MOA or thereabouts based on what it has done so far with the initial load. Shooting that square pattern was unusual and I thought people would get a kick out of seeing it. I don't expect to ever see it again.

I was pretty sure the square was one inch and those numbered shots were barrel count but never want to assume anything.
1/2 MOA at two hundred first time out with no load development is pretty exciting, So I would say it says this rifle is going to be an excellent shooter
Looking forward to more
I too shoot a 270WSM but in Winchester FW. I really like the caliber.

I really like the 270 WSM too. I think the size/weight of bullets match up good for deer/pronghorn sized game which is most of what I'll hunt with it. Recoil is light in this gun which weighs in at 12 pounds. I have a lot of choices but it will be hard to leave this one home come hunting season.

I have a Tikka in 270 wizzum and love it. I tried quite a few bullets with it before I discovered a love affair with the 140 SST and 130 Berger. Both of those projectiles with RL22 shot right at .4 MOA, and more than a couple of times. Last week with the berger 130 and 67g of rl22, I shot a .182 group at 3250 fps. The best I could weasel out of the barnes 110 was about 3/4 moa. Im pretty sure I could have tweaked some more accuracy out of it, but i had a barnes 110 fail on me at 200 yards with a frontal shot on a 6 pt that was feeding with his head down and just wouldnt present a better shot(tree limbs interfered when he turned broadside). Bullet went in at base of neck and traveled just right of the spine the entire length of buck, penciling thru the rear ham on same side. I watched him hit the ground hard, Lit a smoke, and called my buddy on utv to come get us. Well, there was no us to get, after tracking for three hours, a blood trail of only drips for 60 yards, then nothing, we gave up. Hog hunters found him 2 days later about half a mile away. I save the Barnes 110 for my 270wcf where they shoot one holers and work properly. The wsm is on a 130 berger diet for now. The hornady and berger bullets aren't pricey and some dont like how explosive they can be, but if you want to see if a rifle will shoot, they are great projectiles to work up accurate loads

318lll9740

I agree with you that Bergers tend to shoot pretty good in most rifles. Once I figured out you just stick them within 0.010" of the lands they all seemed to shoot. I typically develop loads for TTSX or LRX, Berger HVLDs and Accubonds for all my rifles and then use whichever one fits the situation best.

As far as Barnes, I just saw a post yesterday that described how to best use them. You want light for caliber in Barnes to make them expand to the max. You also want the TTSX or LRX so the plastic tip can maximize expansion. He further said that if you can't drive them over 3,000 fps then switch to something else. I think this advice is right on. You need to keep the shock value up there with Barnes. From my experience I can shoot everything with the 210 TTSX out of my 338 RUM and they stumble for 20 yards and go down. That bullet is running 3,200 fps so it meets the 3,000 fps criteria and so far they have worked great, elk, deer, whatever - one shot kills and zero meat damage. I have heard of the TSX failing to expand and you might want to give the TTSX a try since you have plenty of horsepower in that 270 WSM.

Thanks for the advice. I am about to head to town today and I may grab some 110 ttsx and head to the back pasture. I just got a tikka 6.5 and after two days I worked up 3 different tack driving loads with lead. I have some barnes on the way for it so I may as well bring the 270 wsm and give the barnes another shot.....but **** those bergers shoot!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.