270 WSM - 170 gr EOL Berger load development

Sorry to bring up an older thread but i'm in the process of building a fast twist 270WSM. I see here people talking about freebore and am curious what I should have the the barrel maker cut it at. I'm looking to set up the rifle for the 165-170gr bullets.
This is being built on a Tikka action that was a 7mm Rem Mag. What would you guys suggest for Freebore so I could seat the bullets out as far as possible.
IMO, loading a dummy round ideal to the particular bullet would be the best plan. No two bullets are the same and require their own specific freebore. If your going to use ONLY the 170 EOL, it'll be simple to give your dummy round to your gunsmith and have him custom cut your freebore.

IMO, loading a dummy round ideal to the particular bullet would be the best plan. No two bullets are the same and require their own specific freebore. If your going to use ONLY the 170 EOL, it'll be simple to give your dummy round to your gunsmith and have him custom cut your freebore.
Thanks for the response. I think i'll leave it as a SAAMI spec for now and see what shoots from that barrel. For all I know the barrel will hate them but love something else.

Thanks for the response. I think i'll leave it as a SAAMI spec for now and see what shoots from that barrel. For all I know the barrel will hate them but love something else.

I would not go to the trouble of having the rifle built to chamber it with a SAMMI reamer.
Have it throated for the 165-170 Class of bullets and you will be happy. I run the 170s at 3.120 COAL. The gun shoots everything well 145 ELD-Xs and 150 ABLR as well as the 170s. You need to get the bullets up out of the case to see the performance the 270 WSM is capable of. 170s at 3050 fps. 145s at 3300 fps.

Keep in mind even with a Saami spec chamber, you or your gunsmith can still open up the throat with a uni-throater. Can't really change the neck diameter but can adjust the throat for your preferred bullet.

Here's what Dave Manson came up with for my build...

Attachments

• 270 WSM Tolley.pdf
    697.8 KB · Views: 202