270 WSM - 170 gr EOL Berger load development

Big Jake
No it will not work in a standard Rem or clone short action they are usually about 2.860 Max. There are Baines and Wyatts Mag boxes that will extend that a bit. Some Winchester and clones will have a 3.125 box and they will work great. Also you will need a 1/8 twist for the 170s.
gotcha. thank you! i might look into a tikka just because i found one new local to me. i think they have the larger mag boxes because they dont make short actions

The Tikkas are long actions but in WSM cartridge you'll have to modify the bolt stop... But yes Tikka is a great option... I have a Tikka 270WSM being built right now based off the 168 Hammer Hunter...

The Tikkas are long actions but in WSM cartridge you'll have to modify the bolt stop... But yes Tikka is a great option... I have a Tikka 270WSM being built right now based off the 168 Hammer Hunter...
modify the bolt stop how? will it need a differnt bolt to work?

modify the bolt stop how? will it need a differnt bolt to work?

Your bolt will be fine as long as it's a magnum bolt face... I pasted a link to an aftermarket bolt stop you can buy and install yourself... Also you'll have to buy an aftermarket magazine in long action to load the 270WSM long... I'll paste a link to that also...

Your bolt will be fine as long as it's a magnum bolt face... I pasted a link to an aftermarket bolt stop you can buy and install yourself... Also you'll have to buy an aftermarket magazine in long action to load the 270WSM long... I'll paste a link to that also...

Thank you

Got dies in and loaded a couple dummy rounds to measure came up with 3.176 COAL. Not sure if I should order custom reamer or saami spec with a throater. Barrel is 2 months out. Getting excited to see how it performs. Pic is compared to 270 WBY
5E44BB5B-615C-4CD7-8647-75D2C5608126.jpeg

If you know what reamer spec you need for freebore, you could order it for the Berger 170. If you don't know that measurement, I'd probably opt for a uni-throater and a bit tighter neck (no turn) and Saami freebore. You can take out as much throat as you need. That way if a longer bullet is developed and you choose to load it, you can remove more if needed. More than likely after several hundred rounds fired, you'll have more throat anyway

I talked with Bob Beck when I built my 270 WSM with the 1:8 twist barrel. He told me I would come in around 3.12 to 3.18 and they broke a bunch of reamers getting it just the way they wanted it at MOA rifles. He said you should have just bought one of our rifles all set up and ready for $3400. I did come in around 1k lower than his rifle but it did take months and my gunsmith was extremely diligent in his work. My Tikka T3 shoots at 1/2 moa quite easily so I'd love to put it up against an MOA rifle and see how my mods measure up. It was a fun project. Oh and my COAL is 3.12"

If you know what reamer spec you need for freebore, you could order it for the Berger 170. If you don't know that measurement, I'd probably opt for a uni-throater and a bit tighter neck (no turn) and Saami freebore. You can take out as much throat as you need. That way if a longer bullet is developed and you choose to load it, you can remove more if needed. More than likely after several hundred rounds fired, you'll have more throat anyway
Ordered reamer today saami spec with throater. I think it gives more options for future use. A friend is helping me with the reloading for this build and he didn't have a 270 comparator to get a CBTO measurement.

Ordered reamer today saami spec with throater. I think it gives more options for future use. A friend is helping me with the reloading for this build and he didn't have a 270 comparator to get a CBTO measurement.
Good choice. You can custom cut your own throat. Be careful, those throaters cut fast. Ask me how I know.

No problem. Ya first time I used it. Ordered a reamer with .060 freebore figuring I'd custom throat the chamber. Well I did do that. My screw up caused my 162 ELDs to have to jump .150. Over throated is an exaggeration. Luckily the Hornady's love to jump and turned out they group very well with that much jump.
You get a little more freebore than you wanted?😂. I'll let my gunsmith know. Thank you for your help!

Finally all my parts came in
Barrel- Brux rem var contour 27"
Reamer- JGS
Muzzle brake- Kelbly timed

Headed to drop off tomorrow to my smith, he says it won't take long🙏
I'll keep you guys posted. Really appreciate all the input!

Sorry to bring up an older thread but i'm in the process of building a fast twist 270WSM. I see here people talking about freebore and am curious what I should have the the barrel maker cut it at. I'm looking to set up the rifle for the 165-170gr bullets.
This is being built on a Tikka action that was a 7mm Rem Mag. What would you guys suggest for Freebore so I could seat the bullets out as far as possible.