270 WSM 130 gr Trophy Bonded Tipped @ 420 yards

Longrifle2506

In our lifetime, my Dad and I have shot many times past 300 yards at both targets and live game including coyotes and prairie dogs. But we've never tried shooting at 400 yards. I just put a nice rig together; it's a Sako A7 Tecomate in 270 WSM with Durasight Z2 Alloy steel bases and TPS HRT Alloy Steel rings. Topped off with the New Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42mm with Rapid Z 800 reticle. We had shot the rifle at 300 yards with groups between 2 and 3 inches. But it had a Bushnell Elite 4200 on it at that time; when I put the zeiss on it; we wanted to try the 400 yard mark on the rapid z reticle to see if it worked like it was supposed to. So we sighted it in .86" high at 100 yards which is what Zeiss' ballistic calculator says we should do if we want all the hold over marks to be on clear out to 700 yards. It was very hot on this day; but we shot early and still the humidity was so high that sweat was just pouring! The bench was too short at the range we shot at; the rear sandbag was nearly falling off the bench; and my dad even had a premature trigger break because the bench was so uncomfortable and we were sitting on a darn spool that ground cable comes on and it was too high relative to the bench. Anyway; here's my dad's group.

4" group; 420 yards; 4.2" = MOA; Range confirmed with Leupold RX-1000i TBR

Here's my group: The 3 in the black; the one in the orange was our 100 yard shot to make sure it was hitting .86" high at 100 yards; and we thought it was close enough at .90 inches.

3.5" group; the 10-ring in the target is 7" diameter. Bullseye is 3"; 420 yards; so 4.2 is MOA
We were very impressed that the rifle was holding sub-MOA accuracy out to 420 yards.

When we drove out to the steel plate, all three of dad's trophy bonded bullets were stuck into the steel!! Velocity at 400 yards is around 2300 fps! The bullets were intact and mushroomed!

It's impressive how tough that trophy bonded bullet is; Most bullets we have shot splatter against a steel plate; Not These!

I like it. They still aren't selling those as trophy bonded as components are they? Wish they would, I'd like to try them. Keep shootin'!

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! I am not sure about the TIPPED Trophy Bonded bullets being available as reloading components. You would think they would be though! I read on a terminal ballistics page; that 130 grain bullets deliver super fast kills at 300 yards +; and at 400 yards they deliver a good clean, but slightly delayed kills. The same page said that 150 grain bullets absolutely shine in the .277 caliber. But I will not be Elk hunting with it. The whole purpose of the rifle is for a Mule Deer Hunt in the future. I like 130 grain bullets for the milder recoil; plus they should be more than adequate for mule deer. And the fact it's a trophy bonded 130-grain bullet should help in killing-power. I just love The new Zeiss Conquest HD5! It's the first time I wanted to use a ballistic type reticle to be able to hit at different ranges, and Zeiss has the ballistics/reticle match up perfect. I read where the Rapid Z 800 reticle is perfect for several different cartridges; and the 270 WSM is one of those few. My Dad said; "I can see where Long range shooting can be addictive!" And he's right; he wants to shoot it at 500 and 600 yards using the 500 and 600 marks on the reticle. But 400 was the magic number for me; I wanted to be able to make a vital shot with confidence at 400 yards. It worked out perfect. Thanks again for your replies. Hey guys I will post a pic of my rifle this weekend; gotta go to work right now!

I think I forgot to mention, these cartridges were factory ammo. Federal premium trophy bonded tipped completely nickel plated cartridge including the bullet as well as the brass. I bought several boxes at Bass Pro and a few more boxes from the sportsman's guide. Also, I have two different lot numbers and dad's group is two different lots and still sub-MOA. What else is interesting is that I have boxes from bass pro and the Sportsmens guide that are the exact same lot number. I thought that was interesting, and it made me believe that maybe they don't manufacture very much of the 270 wsm. I bought some Winchester supreme ammo which utilized the XP3 bullet; And had to take them back the bullets were loose in the neck you could spin The bullets loosely and some of them would even move up and down and you could even pull some of them out of the cartridge case. This might be a rare case but I am a federal premium man exclusively now I just believe they have much better quality control. But this could have been a very rare case: But then again, it might happen more than you think.

Here's the rifle

Sako A7 Tecomate 270 WSM w/ Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15x42mm w/ Rapid Z800 reticle

A couple of things I love about the rifle: 24 3/8" inch barrel, which is perfect; and not too short. Also, The barrel is not skinny like many hunting rifles; it's actually a Magnum Contour; all while having a weight of 7 pounds even. The scope is approx. 17 oz I believe so total package is a few ounces over 8 pounds. After sling gets put on, and rings and bases and cartridges in the magazine are considered; it would be a solid 8.5 lbs.

I just got to wrap my hands around a tikka T3 the other day. One of the smoothest factory actions I have ever worked with. I am sure your Sako is the same way. They make some nice rifles.

Thanks a lot PPR.

Korhil, I have seen multiple owner testimonials of Tikka rifles. I saw several show up on forums and the owners posted their targets on the thread as well. It seems like most Tikka rifles will shoot groups inside a half inch; or a little over. That's always impressed me. Heck, I think even the Tikka's that don't shoot the best; still shoot within an inch! I think the Tikka rifles are great examples of "a lot of rifle for your money." I love the Sako/Tikka actions; I like the Sako 75 better than the model 85; and that's why I like the A7 Tecomate; because it is a push-feed, 3-Lug action just like the Sako 75.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.