270 winchester with berger 150 vld and 130 classic

CHARLIEDUECE65

I found two good loads using both bullets. With the 130 classic hunter I used 60.5 grains of imr 7828 and I'm .100 off the rifling (Only reason here is I wanted enough bearing surface in the case neck). With the Berger 150 vld I used 56.5 grains and I'm .020 off. I shot these loads yesterday and the 150's were shooting around 2" higher. I haven't shot them through the chronograph yet. It seems weird that this could be true unless it's a pressure issue. 57.0 grains was a max load with the 150 (got ejector mark on case head). Any explanation or ideas here? Gun is a Rem 700, Mcmillan HTG, with 26" #4 lilja 10 twist barrel.

I previously used 60.0 grains of h4831sc with 130 nosler bt. Shooting the gun prone off the bipod would bring the barrel end of the rifle off the ground 6" or better. Seems to shoot milder with the 7828 and the 130 berger. Reacts almost the same as the 4831 with 130 bt with the 150 though.

I wouldn't assume that a higher impact means you're over pressure. I've shot 4 or 5 different bullets through the same gun on one target and they were thrown all over the place. No rhyme or reason heavies hitting high, lightweights flying off to one side....

In my 7mm Rem Mag shooting 150 grain ETips one grain less H1000 gets nearly identical velocity (within 50 fps) as Retumbo. The H1000 groups about 1 MOA low and 3 MOA to the left. Both shoot similar sized groups but there is no way I can simply swap loads without rezeroing. All has to do with harmonics and every bullet/powder/barrel combination is different.

I didn't mean that I was over pressure I meant more pressure built up due to the longer bearing surface on the 150. Maybe I'm not explaining myself right. I just thought it was strange with a lighter powder charge and heavier bullet it was shooting higher than the lighter bullet with a higher powder charge at 100 yards.

I didn't mean that I was over pressure I meant more pressure built up due to the longer bearing surface on the 150. Maybe I'm not explaining myself right. I just thought it was strange with a lighter powder charge and heavier bullet it was shooting higher than the lighter bullet with a higher powder charge at 100 yards.

The answer is still the same.......harmonics. Every barrel, every combination is different. My 280 AI shoots 168 bergers higher than 145 lrx at 100 yards even though the lrx is decidedly faster.

CHARLIEDUCE65,
The VLD bullets will usually print higher on a target due to their design. Also ,if you started with a cold clean barrel when you shot the CLASSIC HUNTERS and then shot the VLDs you have built up fouling in the barrel that caused more pressure to be trapped behing the bullet giving them more velocity than the first few bullets fired . Try this. Take about 20 rounds of "blow off" rounds to the range and shoot them at a practice target until the bullet strikes shop rising and start to cluster. Then fire the 130s and the VLDs on another target to give you a more accurate idea of how much higher the VLDs will shoot over the Classic Hunters. Since this is a hunting rifle we would also suggest that you take the rifle to the range another time after you have your seating depth and load work up done with a cold clean barrel . Shoot a 3 shot group with the Classic Hunters. Finish up the session buy shooting fouler rounds at another target. Take the rifle home and DO NOT CLEAN IT. Take it back out the range the next day or so and shoot a 3 shot group out of the cold fouled barrel and compare to the cold clean group. Set your scope zero up to the one that is the best and take the rifle out into the field in that condition. Repeat with the VLDs if you wish. Hope this helps!

I had found the load for the 130 classic on a different day of shooting. On that occasion the barrel hadn't been cleaned previously, not exactly sure how many rounds were fired on it maybe around 20 or so. On this particular day, the barrel was still dirty, hadn't been cleaned. I shot a nosler 130 bt through it first, and then 3 rounds of the 150 bergers. I then waited 10 minutes, shot another nosler 130 bt through it and then three rounds of the 130 classics. They were dead on from the previous time shooting them. Haven't tried them in a clean barrel yet to see where they're shooting.

I had found the load for the 130 classic on a different day of shooting. On that occasion the barrel hadn't been cleaned previously, not exactly sure how many rounds were fired on it maybe around 20 or so. On this particular day, the barrel was still dirty, hadn't been cleaned. I shot a nosler 130 bt through it first, and then 3 rounds of the 150 bergers. I then waited 10 minutes, shot another nosler 130 bt through it and then three rounds of the 130 classics. They were dead on from the previous time shooting them. Haven't tried them in a clean barrel yet to see where they're shooting.
CHARLIEDUECE65,
When you get a chance to run the test described previously. Skip the Nosler and go straight to the Bergers. The Nosler kind of skews the fouled barrel part of the test. Lets see what you get after doing the tests by the number and go from there.

I'll give it a shot. Tried to edit my last post. I only shot the one Nosler round before shooting 6 rounds of the 150's and not before the 130 classics and that was to avoid a flyer with the first group. I never hunt with a clean barrel anyways. I'm happy with the 130 classic load as I've confirmed it's accuracy. I've loaded up more of the 150 load to confirm it.

I'll give it a shot. Tried to edit my last post. I only shot the one Nosler round before shooting 6 rounds of the 150's and not before the 130 classics and that was to avoid a flyer with the first group. I never hunt with a clean barrel anyways. I'm happy with the 130 classic load as I've confirmed it's accuracy. I've loaded up more of the 150 load to confirm it.
CHARLIEDUCE65,
Cool! Make sure you get out the door to the range this weekend before the wife hands you your honey-do list !! lol !! Let us know what happens and have a great weekend!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.