270 Winchester bullet choice for deer and elk

I've had great results with the Nosler ABLR in my 7mm STW but loading for a buddy building a long range 270 and he is going to use the newly released Berger 170gr EOL (Extreme Outer Limits) just released but you have to have an extended magazine or Mag well, as they need to be out to the lans for accuracy and you need a 1:7 twist or better. I'm pushing them at 3,100 fps.

The Berger 170 only needs a 1-8 I use 1-8.5 for the most part. They don't need to be at the lands.

I've had great results with the Nosler ABLR in my 7mm STW but loading for a buddy building a long range 270 and he is going to use the newly released Berger 170gr EOL (Extreme Outer Limits) just released but you have to have an extended magazine or Mag well, as they need to be out to the lans for accuracy and you need a 1:7 twist or better. I'm pushing them at 3,100 fps.
3,100 fps out of a standard 270win?
Berger calls for a 1:8 twist for the 170's.

Capt,
The 270 Winchester was my only hunting rifle for 20 years and currently I hunt with a custom 270 WSM in a browning long action that I modified from a 7mm long action. Long story short, I have a lot of experience with .277, deer and elk. I have shot multiple Elk with 140 grain bullets and have great confidence that they are adequate with good shot placement, however I have grown quite fond of the Nossler Accubond LongRange in 150 grains. The BC is the highest in class and it is super accurate at 3000 fps and higher. I am loaded at 3100 FPS using H4831sc and shoots 3/8" groups at 100 yrds. Every deer I have shot dropped in its tracks and both elk were on the ground in a few yards. I also run the 270 with H1000 but was having a hard time finding any so I developed the H4831sc load, the accuracy is almost identical at 3100 fps. I have validated the BC and speed to 1000 yrds with both loads. Because the bearing surface on the 150 grain Nossler ABLR is about the same as most 140 grain bullets you should be able to get very close to the same Muzzle Velocity from them. They hold together quite well and destroy the vitals before exiting on an elk if you shoot behind the shoulder. I am a meet eater and never shoot the shoulder. I shot two does this year at 465 yards and both dropped on impact from a double lung shot. My point is I am an advocate of shot placement and speed over extreme weight and wasting meet.
U mine sharing powder weight an oacl with that H4831sc, I'm trying to work up a load Now! Just like to comare to table 8 Nosler reload. Tks

I actually like and load the light sub 120gr monos in my 270 and 270 WSMs for deer and smaller game but when elk are on the menu all of use grab the heavies, from timber to long range they just hit hard, it's like shooting Berger 215's in a 300 win, changes the whole picture!
I've picked up a number of 140 Accubonds after shooting through game and it's surprising how little they open, my absalutely bottom impact velocity on them is 2200 fps and that I feel is pushing them.

Bigngreen, have you used the 150 ABLR on elk? I'm curious since their performance is supposed to be better than the 140s at velocities much lower than 2200 fps. It sounds like you had issues with the Cutting Edge bullets on elk. I'm curious about your experience there too. I have taken just a few animals with Cutting Edge MTH bullets, all this year, but they have performed pretty well. One was an elk at about 600 yds with a 6.5 SAUM (120 gr MTH) and then a couple deer- one a mulie buck at 289 yds with a 270 WSM 120gr MTH and one doe at about 80 yds with a 77gr MTH with a 243 win. Very little meat damage but effective heart/lung/spine damage and drt. I haven't tried the hammer bullets yet but plan to.

Bigngreen, have you used the 150 ABLR on elk? I'm curious since their performance is supposed to be better than the 140s at velocities much lower than 2200 fps. It sounds like you had issues with the Cutting Edge bullets on elk. I'm curious about your experience there too. I have taken just a few animals with Cutting Edge MTH bullets, all this year, but they have performed pretty well. One was an elk at about 600 yds with a 6.5 SAUM (120 gr MTH) and then a couple deer- one a mulie buck at 289 yds with a 270 WSM 120gr MTH and one doe at about 80 yds with a 77gr MTH with a 243 win. Very little meat damage but effective heart/lung/spine damage and drt. I haven't tried the hammer bullets yet but plan to.
I will chime in here if ok? CEB and our Hammer Bullets are similar in the fact that we are both pure copper CNC lathe turned precision bullets. Difference comes in the alloy used and our PDR technology (parabolic drag reduction) on the baring surface. Our alloy choice, after much testing of many alloys, is a softer copper and performs better terminally. Our PDR on the baring surface allows bullet seating anywhere just like conventional bullets. Also it solves the problem that has always plagued mono bullets, how big a dia to make the bullet to seal the bore properly without creating pressure problems. Because of the radius of the contact surfaces we can cut the bullets at .0005" over groove dia creating perfect seal with no increase in pressure. We cut the trough or groove deeper than bore dia in order to leave space for the displaced copper to deposit and not cause bore fouling. The PDR creates perfect load concentricity because all of the baring surface contacts the case neck, easy bullet engraving, and clean release from the muzzle. This results in a bullet that is incredibly easy to load develop and virtually has no seating depth sensitivity.

Our hunting bullets suffer a bit in the bc department due to the fact that we will not use a 1mm hollow point. Testing in controlled media the 1mm hp will work reliably, but we found that it was not reliable enough on game after dozens of animals taken and had a couple not do as we expect from a top quality hunting bullet. We determined that a 1.5mm hp is as small as can be relied on for repeatable performance. We will not sacrifice terminal performance or accuracy for any marketing strategy. Quite frankly what good does a little added bc do for you if it means your bullet has has a higher probability of failure or is difficult to get to shoot well?

Steve

Accubonds. I'm not a big fan of the 270 for elk I've just seen to many elk hit well with a 270 go further than I like. That being said use any sturdy bullet at least 140gr preferably 150gr and itll work.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.