270 Winchester bullet choice for deer and elk

I understand this rifle and caliber have limitations depending on conditions and the animal I'm shooting at I'd say 500 max
At this yardage bc plays a very small roll.

Have loaded many of the 117g Hammer Hunter in the 270win. It will run at a bit over 3300fps. This bullet will carry enough for deer out 600 and elk to 500. Very flat shooting. If you prefer heavier then our Sledge Hammer line will work very well. Quite a few elk taken this year with 270's and Sledge Hammers from 117g to 145g. The Sledge Hammers arw a larger meplat/hollow point bullet that will have higher weight retention. What we consider the perfect normal range hunting bullet. 500y and under.

Steve

At this yardage bc plays a very small roll.

Have loaded many of the 117g Hammer Hunter in the 270win. It will run at a bit over 3300fps. This bullet will carry enough for deer out 600 and elk to 500. Very flat shooting. If you prefer heavier then our Sledge Hammer line will work very well. Quite a few elk taken this year with 270's and Sledge Hammers from 117g to 145g. The Sledge Hammers arw a larger meplat/hollow point bullet that will have higher weight retention. What we consider the perfect normal range hunting bullet. 500y and under.

Steve
I'm guessing your bullets are mono design I know you can use lighter Bullets to get the same effect as a heavier lead bullet why are your bullets better than say a barnes or cutting edge

I'm guessing your bullets are mono design I know you can use lighter Bullets to get the same effect as a heavier lead bullet why are your bullets better than say a barnes or cutting edge
Cutting edge would be similar in the fact that they are precision lathe turned like ours. Barnes are a swaged type of process, for lack of better terminology. They are both harder than our bullets. Our patented PDR design allows seating at any depth. Virtually eliminates copper fouling. Is extremely accurate, with less pressure, and is very forgiving to seating depth. Our bullets are easier to load develop than any bullet I have ever used. Our bullets have more reliable terminal performance than the others because we don't have a tip in the way and we do not utilize a hollow point less than 1.5mm. We have tried 1mm and terminal performance on game is not as reliable.

Tips have been marketed as an enhancement to expansion. This does not hold true to our testing. The tip is simply plugging the hole that needs fluid to enter into in order to cause the front of the bullet to open up. A tip will enhance bc but we are not willing to sacrifice terminal performance for anything.

Not sure where you are in MT but will throw out an invite to come to range and load develop your rifle with us.

Steve

I currently live in great falls and still pretty new to reloading and hunting so that would be awesome I know that the bread and butter of a 270win is about 130 grains are the 117g heavy enough for elk I mainly hunt mule deer but have shot elk when deer hunting so I defenitaly want a bullet that can dispatch both animals as humanly and quickly as possible

I'll say for a mono bullet Steve's are hands down better than cutting edge, easier accuracy and they have realistic BCs and twist rates.
The idea that a light fast copper bullet matches a heavy for cal cup and core just doesn't happen, I shot Barnes exclusively for many years, changing over to the 165 Matrix in the 270s was unbelievable, no comparison whatsoever when you hit elk!!! Both kill but man when you see what the Matrix does it's impressive!!

I actually like and load the light sub 120gr monos in my 270 and 270 WSMs for deer and smaller game but when elk are on the menu all of use grab the heavies, from timber to long range they just hit hard, it's like shooting Berger 215's in a 300 win, changes the whole picture!
I've picked up a number of 140 Accubonds after shooting through game and it's surprising how little they open, my absalutely bottom impact velocity on them is 2200 fps and that I feel is pushing them.

I just bought a 270 win and wanted opinions on the best bullet for elk and deer will primarily be used for deer but want a bullet that can take an elk if I happen to see one I have it narrowed done to a few choices 140 classic hunter berger, 145 eldx, or 129 lrx. I know barnes you can use a lighter bullet and get similar results to those heavier Bullets and I know it will have more penetration more than likely. Any other good Bullet choices would be appreciated thank you.
129 lrx

I currently live in great falls and still pretty new to reloading and hunting so that would be awesome I know that the bread and butter of a 270win is about 130 grains are the 117g heavy enough for elk I mainly hunt mule deer but have shot elk when deer hunting so I defenitaly want a bullet that can dispatch both animals as humanly and quickly as possible

I too live in Great Falls.

Ed

129 LRX worked well for me. Shot a mule deer at 352yd this year. Deer went 20 yds. Avg velocity 3004 out of a weatherby vanguard 2. Very consistent velocity with H4831. Complete pass through. If your gun likes them then you are in business. If not, find what it shoots.

I shot a doe at 80 yards and a cow elk at 260 yards with the 130 grain Trophy Bonded Tip this last season. The doe dropped in her tracks with a spinal shot and another one in the neck to put her out. The shot on the cow went through the leg bone just below the shoulder, took both lungs and exited through the other leg just below he joint, she was also dropped on the spot and never tried to get back up. That will be my bullet for the 270 win.

I shot a doe at 80 yards and a cow elk at 260 yards with the 130 grain Trophy Bonded Tip this last season. The doe dropped in her tracks with a spinal shot and another one in the neck to put her out. The shot on the cow went through the leg bone just below the shoulder, took both lungs and exited through the other leg just below he joint, she was also dropped on the spot and never tried to get back up. That will be my bullet for the 270 win.
The TBBT seems like a great design, but I've never shot any and never actually seen any of the components. Seems like a 140 would be pretty awesome. We took 145 ELDX's out this year for elk, but got skunked, so no idea how they will actually perform. Trying to decide on an all around load for his rifle....could not get 140 AB's to cooperate, so 145 ELDX's were what we used in a pinch.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts