270 Winchester Ackley Improved

Old school fast powders like H4831 can not compete with heavy bullets compared to modern slow powders. Unless you are using really short barrels!

35 years or so ago R-22 and imr 7828 came out. chrono testing proved lots of things to me in a 270 win. later you had r-25 h1000, and retumbo. Now r-26 r-33

Somebody ask me about FPS. I've ruined a lot of cases in testing just .3 grain additional amounts with chrono and 200 yard group testing. Often backed down from max loads with exceptable case life makes great groups. Often 100 + fps or so below flattened primers that may even hurt the primer pocket.

my 29 inch target F1 class 29 inch ai is also throated an additional .250 which makes it a single shot when loaded out near the lands. 8 1/2 pound barrel. Weatherby uses the long throat idea for most all W-mags. It keeps pressure down. I use home moly coated bullets through my 1:9 twist barrel.

My velocity doesnt compare to a stock type 270 win setup even if you have a 26 inch barre;

Here is the once a year bump.

I have booked a dall sheep hunt this year. My favorite rifle has always been my original m70 in 270, now rechambered to 270ai.

I am rebarreling it with the new Proof Research Carbon fiber with 24" 1-8.4 twist. I wish it was 26 or 28" but 24 is all they are making now.

The goal is to shoot the Cutting edge 150gr lazers near 3200 and roll a big white ram down the hill.

I have booked a dall sheep hunt this year. My favorite rifle has always been my original m70 in 270, now rechambered to 270ai.

I am rebarreling it with the new Proof Research Carbon fiber with 24" 1-8.4 twist. I wish it was 26 or 28" but 24 is all they are making now.

The goal is to shoot the Cutting edge 150gr lazers near 3200 and roll a big white ram down the hill.
Looking forward to the range report and, of course, successful hunts. Good luck!

Ed

Feenix.

The 270 e00 win mag took a deer at 575 yarxs thus yeR in qe degree weather and 12 mph wind. One shot drt.. if i didnt have a spotter i wojld still be looki g for him

That's scooting for a 150gr in a 24" barrel! Does that 150 lazer just go faster than normal? Just curious.
Good luck on your Ram hunt!

I have 26 and 2229