270 Winchester Ackley Improved

I have 1:9 and a 29 inch barrel. I was looking at a 27 Nosler last month and it was something like 8.5 twist.

I was able to shoot up to 175 or 169.5 which i have the most pills of. The 190's were no go! I wish that i had the formula to post. twist is preferable over trying to attempt additional FPS in getting a bullet to stabilize. cold weather will screw a bullet with marginal RPM

The newer Nosler bullets usually get all factory loaded for the cartridge ammo. The two new .277 bullets are 150 regular Accubonds and the 165 LRAB I would guess much later.

"I could fax it easier??"

That statement perplexed me.. until I read

"The OP may be dead by now!"

And then I checked posting dates and it all started to make sense.. lol!

This is an old trend. I don't see the results of you 270 AI. Is it working?

With the advent of the new powders I went to retumbo and R-26 for heavy .277 and StaBall 6.5 for lighter weights.

Staball 6.5 is great for 120gr HPBT varminting rounds. I should have bought more before this fiasco. They used to sell bulk 2000 rounds for $205 delivered Just smokes out of my 29 inch barrel. I started out with 100 gr SP & Hp, but they were flat based and poor BC. Then I found 110 spbt. little better BC. The 120's are the long range Prairie Poodle eliminators. Speer makes 115 bt with a .401 BC, but I have not tried them.

I really like the 270 AI, but you are limited to @ 66 grains. the 270 WSM holds a few more grains at up to about 70.

FEENIX ~
Nice to know the H4831 is launching the 175s near 3000. Not sure if I will load them in one of my 270 Wbys but am going to in my 27 Nosler. Thanks

Recent Posts