270 Win, with 150+ Grain Bullets

270 MKV

I should have my rifle back from the smith this week. Barrel, 1/9 twist, 27 inches long.

Been looking over the higher mass bullets out there...

Has anyone had good luck with 160 grain Partitions out to 400 yards????

I know the BC of these basicly suck...but with a 1-9 barrel, 400 yards should be easy peasy.

not sure what would be good for 400-800 yards yet...thinking possibly a 140 grain Accubond...or 150 Grain Partition

This could be a decent companion load to the 165 Matrix...with the Matrix used further out for punching paper.

Ideas???

I'm shooting the 150 grain Sierra Gameking successfully out to 1040 yards... getting 2750fps from a 22" barrel, and excellent accuracy with 52.5 grains of IMR 4350 in Winchester cases, with WLR primers.

Dan

ok...so everyone likes the Matrix 165....so when the berger 170 becomes available..that should work too...

here is a follow up question...

I would expect these to work ok on Deer...to 300 yards...

but what about Elk?? Most shots here are close...300 yards would be into the next canyon...how well does the light jacketed Matrix perform on Elk????

ok...so everyone likes the Matrix 165....so when the berger 170 becomes available..that should work too...

here is a follow up question...

I would expect these to work ok on Deer...to 300 yards...

but what about Elk?? Most shots here are close...300 yards would be into the next canyon...how well does the light jacketed Matrix perform on Elk????

We we put a bunch of the 165 Matrix on elk, largest bull of the year took one at the top of the shoulder which blew through the shoulder and took out two vertebra which dropped him, on the way up to him he came to and tried to get his front end under him so my buddy stuck a second one in at the base of his neck and it did such rude things to his spine that we could not drag him out by his head. After skinning there was no blood shot on the surface but the inside of his neck looked like he swallowed a grenade. That's two bullets in the heaviest bone on elk and it destroyed him. Forgot to say it was at 85 yards, 270 win 2830fps.
All I know is several guys loaded them up for the first time last year, all took multiple elk and all of them wanted more bullets, not hard to do the math :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.