.270 win which bullet?

trazman

So I have a rifle in .270win. The barrel is 1-10"... Which bullet do you recommend for long range hunting?

I have only used the Nosler Accubond 130 grain. But it was really accurate out of my rifle. Going to play with some of the Berger VLD's when I can get out to shoot again.

I use 270Win, although I would not say I am up to this site's definition of long range shooting - yet.

A couple of other bullets to consider since you have a 1:10 twist, both from GS Custom bullets:

- 270110HV068
GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Specifications for use

- 270117HV296
GS CUSTOM USA - Bullet Technical Profile

Those should work for you out to 500 meters. Be careful with bullet length, twist, and intended use distance. (under vs over 500 meters)

Those are both designed for expansion on impact.

There are also some solids (SP type) which don't expand, but have even higher BC.

For anything with 4 legs I use the following selection:

Hornady 140 SPBT - as accurate as any - lead tips suffer magazine deformation

Nosler 140s As accurate as any

Berger 140s - more accurate than anything.....

In areas where I am concerned with ricochets Sierra 90 gr HPs are the ticket for predators.

Powders of choice include:

7828ssc
Norma MRP
Rl-22 - super temp sensitive
PP 4000 MR - the goto powder at the moment with Berger 140s.

FWIW

Berger 130gr classic hunters. With a BC of .497 a better long range bullet is hard to find. You have to step up to 150gr bullets to get slightly better BC at much slower starting velocities.

As much as I like my 270 win, it is kind of annoying that just a very small diameter difference between it and 7mm bullets appears to consistently provide improved ballistic coefficients.

I am not sure if this is inherent in the diameter or just the nature of the market, but I can't remember seeing 270 diameter bullets with better BCs than 7 mm. Maybe when I re barrel that will be a path.

Berger 130gr classic hunters. With a BC of .497 a better long range bullet is hard to find. You have to step up to 150gr bullets to get slightly better BC at much slower starting velocities.

Thats my reason for the 130 berger as well. **** good hunting bullet and super accuracy with high for caliber bc. My 270 wcf will split thread with the 110 barnes, but I tried the 130 bergers that I use in my 270wsm after running out of barnes, and lets just say the vanilla and wizzum 270's both are on a berger diet.

As much as I like my 270 win, it is kind of annoying that just a very small diameter difference between it and 7mm bullets appears to consistently provide improved ballistic coefficients.

I am not sure if this is inherent in the diameter or just the nature of the market, but I can't remember seeing 270 diameter bullets with better BCs than 7 mm. Maybe when I re barrel that will be a path.

Check out the 165 and 175 (no longer advertised but still available for large production orders) Matrix VLDs (http://www.matrixballistics.com/.277-Caliber-rifle-bullets.html) ...

I got my first own deer rifle when I was 11 and it was my Remington 700 ADL .270 Winchester. Since I've owned it, there has never been a factory round fired through it. My Dad started me out on 140gr Hornady SSTs and that's what I still use today. He never had much experience with .270s in the past but decided to go with the 140gr for a good weight between the 130s and 150s.

I debated switching bullets, but my rifle pushes the 140 SST at 3080fps with a good dose of IMR 4831 and it shows no signs of excessive pressure. With the .495 BC and high velocity, this lightweight rifle is deadly. The 150 SST has a .525 BC but with the loss in muzzle velocity, the downrange performance is nearly identical so I see no advantage in changing slugs.

Last year I shot a doe at 728yds with my .270 and it dropped her to the ground, then she crawled about 20yds or so before she expired. Shot placement was just behind the left shoulder and the slug excited just infront of the offside shoulder leaving a half inch diameter exit wound. I didn't hit any bone besides ribs, but the bullet still managed to open at the low velocity and do its job. This is my longest kill to date and I was very pleased with it. The 140gr SST did its job and the buddies I was with were surprised by the .270s long range performance. They weren't expecting this from a standard deer rifle and a cartridge that is not used or known for its long range capabilities. There may be better options out there, but for what I do, I can't see using anything else. From dispatching deer at 15 yards in the brush, to dropping does at 700yds in the fields, the 140 SST fits the bill!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.