270 Win vs 6.5 PRC

General RE LEE

Howdy friends and neighbors. I am a deer hunter looking to add another Tikka T3x to the stable. I also am a reloader. I am looking at either a .270 win or a 6.5 PRC to hunt over ag fields out to 600 yards. I already have a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm STW and .30 06 but I like guns.

The .270 WIN Tikka T3x can be had pretty cheap right now. The 6.5 PRC is a little pricey.

What would you choose as a deer round from 0-600 yards?

In my opinion, both are good cartridges. There's better bullet options and more of them for long range in 6.5 than in .270cal. There's also more high quality brass for the 6.5 PRC than the .270 Win. The 6.5 PRC will also have a fast twist rate from the factory for the heavy, long range, high BC bullets. The .270 will be limited to 150gr or lighter bullets because of the twist. I would go with the 6.5 PRC over the .270 in this scenario. Both are good cartridges, but I think the PRC edges the .270 in most cases other than factory ammo availability and options.

Howdy friends and neighbors. I am a deer hunter looking to add another Tikka T3x to the stable. I also am a reloader. I am looking at either a .270 win or a 6.5 PRC to hunt over ag fields out to 600 yards. I already have a 6.5 Creedmoor, 7mm STW and .30 06 but I like guns.

The .270 WIN Tikka T3x can be had pretty cheap right now. The 6.5 PRC is a little pricey.

I just Bought a 6.5 CREEDMOOR, Tikka 24",.. PLENTY for Deer, Antelope and Coyotes !
And you'll get,.. LOWER Recoil and GOOD Barrel,.. "Life" !
The .270 Win is always, a good choice, tho !
The Tikka in 6.5 Creed is,.. a NO Brainer,.. IMO !

Either will work fine to 600. Short action vs Long action to think about. The twist in the 270 might not be great for some of the high BC bullets but to 600 wouldnt matter that much. I actually sold my 270 win to get a 6.5prc. So my choice was the 6.5 prc.

Although I am a .270 proponent, the 6.5PRC will do better in the Tikka due to max COAL for LA T3 is pretty short for the .270 even if you were to re-barrel to faster 1:8 twist. My understanding the T3 LA has max COAL of about 3.35" which doesn't get you much for bullet weight increase especially in mono bullets.

The factory twist on the PRC is going to be better suited to heavier projectiles than the 270. Components are probably easier to find for the 270 right now, but 6.5 has a better projectile selection. If you reload, I find it easier to stock a few diameters of projectiles than than trying to have 5-6 types of bullets in each diameter.

Both will kill a deer quite dead. For deer 600 and in, I don't know that the PRC will kill them any deader than your current creedmoor.

The factory twist on the PRC is going to be better suited to heavier projectiles than the 270. Components are probably easier to find for the 270 right now, but 6.5 has a better projectile selection. If you reload, I find it easier to stock a few diameters of projectiles than than trying to have 5-6 types of bullets in each diameter.

Both will kill a deer quite dead. For deer 600 and in, I don't know that the PRC will kill them any deader than your current creedmoor.

Likely true that my 6.5 Creedmoor is completely adequate for the ranges I plan on shooting. My handload that gets 2900 FPS still has 1800 fps/1000 lbs KE at 725 yards.

What can you shoot well? What ammunition is available most? That makes the decision easier. For me, the 6.5is overrated. Ok. No hate mail. That's for me. I have used both, and at age 63, I continue to migrate back to the .270, sighted two inches high at 50 yards. Mine is then "pie plated" at 300 yards. Then make adjustments. Agai, me: i.have lost deer, wounded deer more with the 6.5. Very few deer lost with the .270, and, since age 19, no wounded only. Good luck

I have 6.5 PRC's and creeds. For deer I'd use a creed but you are looking at a new rifle because you want one. In that case, the old school 270 is a fun rifle to have in the safe due to nostalgia. Twist of the 270 will be an issue potentially if you are chasing high bc bullets but is that a need for sub 600? Meh. High BC bullets is mainly for retaining down range velocity and fighting wind affect. Neither are a huge factor at 600, but do matter some.

I vote 270 since it's old school and out of date but still a good performer. There is nothing magical about any of these. It boils down to terminal performance. A 140 grain bullet at 2900 fps is still a 140 grain bullet at 2900 no matter the caliber size. The difference will be in sectional density, design, and then how much velocity that bullet retains at x distance.

Another fly by night already have the same basic thing cartridge ! When the prc has stood the test of time, say 75 years we'll talk about equality...
That's ridiculous. Same bs was said of the 270 when it came out. 30 cal fanatics bashed it. The 6.5 PRC is in a different universe and design for a modern thought processes. High bc for weight bullets, fits a short action mag, and uses a efficient case design. Every gun maker, die maker, barrel maker, reamer maker, brass maker, etc is on board with the 6.5 PRC. It's here to stay.