.270 Win + RL26 = Holy Cow

Muddyboots

In a recent post I mentioned I would like to try the pixie dust with the Berger 170 EOL etc. Props to can1010 for PM to offer some samples to try. That is what is so great about this site is the camaraderie. So ended up with some 170 EOL and 165 Matrix which I swapped for some 30 cal 168 ABLR which he wanted to try. Win win for both of us.

So hit range yesterday, balmy 34 and breezy but shootable for ladders. Savage 110 C 52 yr old with recent barrel swap with 24" SS Shaw 1:10. I know twist is wrong but wanted to see possibility of velocity. The 170 EOL topped out at 3067 with very slight ejector that was hard to see but I felt good enough. The 165 Matrix was 3079 but No Pressure. Did not run ladder deep enough since I was surprised by load.

So the revival continues with the old girl. The old 110C has decent DBM COAL of 3.450 so was able to set the 170's 0.045 off and the 165 Matrix was 0.020 off.

Anybody know of better stock option keeping the original DBM? Just a nostalgia thing if I could. Boyd might but the OE stock is destroyed to make new one from a past discussion. Have to revisit to verify again. There was a synthetic years ago but did not fit my rifle due to mfg date.

New barrel, new stock is the plan.

In a recent post I mentioned I would like to try the pixie dust with the Berger 170 EOL etc. Props to can1010 for PM to offer some samples to try. That is what is so great about this site is the camaraderie. So ended up with some 170 EOL and 165 Matrix which I swapped for some 30 cal 168 ABLR which he wanted to try. Win win for both of us.

So hit range yesterday, balmy 34 and breezy but shootable for ladders. Savage 110 C 52 yr old with recent barrel swap with 24" SS Shaw 1:10. I know twist is wrong but wanted to see possibility of velocity. The 170 EOL topped out at 3067 with very slight ejector that was hard to see but I felt good enough. The 165 Matrix was 3079 but No Pressure. Did not run ladder deep enough since I was surprised by load.

So the revival continues with the old girl. The old 110C has decent DBM COAL of 3.450 so was able to set the 170's 0.045 off and the 165 Matrix was 0.020 off.

Anybody know of better stock option keeping the original DBM? Just a nostalgia thing if I could. Boyd might but the OE stock is destroyed to make new one from a past discussion. Have to revisit to verify again. There was a synthetic years ago but did not fit my rifle due to mfg date.

New barrel, new stock is the plan.
Just curious if you got any accuracy with the 1-10?

The 170 EOL and the 165 Matrix both require faster than 1:10 so did not try for accuracy. My thoughts were more along the lines of what velocity can I achieve with a 24" barrel and RL26 to provide indicator for barrel swap to faster twist. I may just stay with 24" barrel since the velocity was impressive for those bullet weights.

The 170 EOL and the 165 Matrix both require faster than 1:10 so did not try for accuracy. My thoughts were more along the lines of what velocity can I achieve with a 24" barrel and RL26 to provide indicator for barrel swap to faster twist. I may just stay with 24" barrel since the velocity was impressive for those bullet weights.
No, No, NO, :) 26", BBL PLEASE, Please.:) :) :) Trust Me, Them extra 2"'s can = up to 75ft to 100fps down range. Don't cheat your self. RL-26 love's the extra inches and faster twist rate. (SLOW BURN) Although, if your going to use it for hunting, well you know. (Sacrifice):(
Heck, with them velocities out of the 24",,, I would take it all day long, also. Win, Win,:):):)

No, No, NO, :) 26", BBL PLEASE, Please.:) :) :) Trust Me, Them extra 2"'s can = up to 75ft to 100fps down range. Don't cheat your self. RL-26 love's the extra inches and faster twist rate. (SLOW BURN) Although, if your going to use it for hunting, well you know. (Sacrifice):(
Heck, with them velocities out of the 24",,, I would take it all day long, also. Win, Win,:):):)
😂😂😂😂
I wonder if you prefer 26"! I was actually thinking 25-26" just to reach 3100 for the 170EOL just to have nice "round" number to work with.

I did not see any real visible signs of pressure on primers, no ejector sign except for very slight mark on top load for the 170. No bolt lift at all. Will post up pocket tightness once I cycle this brass.

The LRH capability gets interesting and proves to me why I prefer the .270 over the T-Rex 6.5CM.

Pass the popcorn please😱

those are some impressive velocities. there is nothing listed in any data that I have seen that would have indicated those speeds with the 170s
keep going with it. some people have had good success with the matrix and bergers in the 270 wsm in 1:10 twists so anything might be possible

😂😂😂😂
I wonder if you prefer 26"! I was actually thinking 25-26" just to reach 3100 for the 170EOL just to have nice "round" number to work with.

I did not see any real visible signs of pressure on primers, no ejector sign except for very slight mark on top load for the 170. No bolt lift at all. Will post up pocket tightness once I cycle this brass.

The LRH capability gets interesting and proves to me why I prefer the .270 over the T-Rex 6.5CM.

Pass the popcorn please😱
You're getting some unreal speed even for RL26,
I'd be wanting to validate that with drop at long range.
Also load that brass a second time and see what happens, I'll bet you get pressure signs and loose primer pockets

the only thing that might explain the speeds is the shorter bearing surface of the 170s. just like the 215 berger are known to achieve higher velocities than bullets of similar or lighter weights of different design and manufactures
don't give up on this it has made me rethink my stance on the 270 with heavies and RL-26

giphy.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.