270 win Rebarrel

amork

My old 270 winchester, winchester model 70 has seen better days and christmas this year is funding a rebarrel, (exterior is pitted beyond fixing and just plain bothers me). I am kind of trying to decide on a contour and I am not really sure where to start. The current rifle is a featherweight .270 model 70 and that barrel is definitely not enough for days when I want to sit and plink away at the range. I am leaning toward a bartlein barrel and wondering if anyone has suggestions for something that I can pack around for hunting season along with sit and shoot more than 3 rounds before my barrel is almost hot. THanks in advance!

My old 270 winchester, winchester model 70 has seen better days and christmas this year is funding a rebarrel, (exterior is pitted beyond fixing and just plain bothers me). I am kind of trying to decide on a contour and I am not really sure where to start. The current rifle is a featherweight .270 model 70 and that barrel is definitely not enough for days when I want to sit and plink away at the range. I am leaning toward a bartlein barrel and wondering if anyone has suggestions for something that I can pack around for hunting season along with sit and shoot more than 3 rounds before my barrel is almost hot. THanks in advance!

.270 is a great cartridge but really isn't a plinker. Find a gunsmith that you trust to do the rebarrel and from there any of the barrel makers have fine stuff these days. I would recommend getting a single point cut rifle barrel, for a .270 - it will most likely last a lifetime. When you get your project done pick out a heavy contour plinking rifle that likes shooting 20+ rounds without getting hot and shoot it like you stole it, save the .270 for your hunting days.

A #4 contour barrel cut at 24" should be about .650 at the muzzle and weigh about 3.25 LBs with 30 cal bore. This is on a Lilja contour, Benchmark barrels are close to this also. A fluted #4 barrel makes a nice carrying rifle IMO. They still warm up pretty quick but 5 shot groups haven't been a problem for me.

Whichever barrel manufacturer and contour you decide on, make sure you have the right twist to propel the high BC heavies. My .270 AI has 30" Lilja 1:8" 3G #6, propelling the 175 Matrix VLD at 2993 FPS (my current accuracy load) with H4831SC.

I had Mcgowen do my ruger 270 in a number 3. I have a faster twist to shoot the 170 berger and I am amazed at how well it shoots.. It has been bad medicine for everything from Elk on down.. A number 3 was bigger than my factory pencil barrel.. It heats up slower but, is slightly heavier...

I agree that 270 probably isn't best choice for plinking but, to each his own.

Columbiariverarms.com can do a drop-in for you. I sent them my factory barrel some years ago so they could get the numbers verified. They can even make you a barrel nut. Best barrels I've found. Last longest, clean easiest, shoots lights out.

mjolnir_now.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.