270 win Rebarrel

Following,
My Winchester extreme weather is getting redone as we speak here in Colorado with S3 in Loveland.
My original barrel lasted almost 10 years of moderate shooting and reloads. Love the 270 and will go back with a 270 since I have so many bullets and brass available. Going with a 26" krieger in 1-8 to stabilize the 165s, I can't wait to get her back and start loading again.
Good choice

Plink with what you like, I shoot rockchucks and coyotes with 340 wby, 375 ultra, and a .404 Jeffries it's called knowing your gun, though excessive power for all that shooting is good to practice pic is of rockChuck and 375 ultra
I love using my big game hunting rifles for chucks and varmints. Unfortunately now my blm areas are getting inundated with open range cattle and sheep. So I'm going back to the lighter cartridges that have a higher probability of the bullets fragmenting apart on any impact.

I recently rebarreled a rifle with a #3 Bartlein contour.I really like it over the standard contour it had before.I had to sand the barrel channel a little to get it to fit and float,but it wasn't really all that much since the previous barrel was already floated.The #3 really makes the rifle feel solid with the extra weight.It's not too heavy,it just makes the rifle settle well when your making a shot.As for the chamber,I'd go with a 26" 30-06.You can really do some amazing things with the 30-06 with the powders we have today.I also like the wide variety of bullets and weights with the 30cal.

I can't imagine me carrying a 30in barrel on a hunt. Probably to heavy for me. Don't get me wrong I shoot a 31in barrel in 308 with 185gr burgers at 1000 yard's. For hunting I prefer a 22in barrel lightweight. I'm getting old too fast lol.
It is definitely not for everybody, but it was specifically built for long-range hunting to propel the 165/175 Matrix VLD.

.270 AI atop the mountain.jpg

I had Mcgowen do my ruger 270 in a number 3. I have a faster twist to shoot the 170 berger and I am amazed at how well it shoots.. It has been bad medicine for everything from Elk on down.. A number 3 was bigger than my factory pencil barrel.. It heats up slower but, is slightly heavier...

I agree that 270 probably isn't best choice for plinking but, to each his own.
What twist rate did you go with. I had a new barrel cut to 1:9 and it still greatly prefers 130 grain everything.

My old 270 winchester, winchester model 70 has seen better days and christmas this year is funding a rebarrel, (exterior is pitted beyond fixing and just plain bothers me). I am kind of trying to decide on a contour and I am not really sure where to start. The current rifle is a featherweight .270 model 70 and that barrel is definitely not enough for days when I want to sit and plink away at the range. I am leaning toward a bartlein barrel and wondering if anyone has suggestions for something that I can pack around for hunting season along with sit and shoot more than 3 rounds before my barrel is almost hot. THanks in advance!
I have a 300wsm model 70 feather weight and had my smith put. New 2B Bartlein on it and it's a hammer!!!!

There is a killer deal on a Lilja 270 barrel blank in the classified section right now. I believe it is a #4 1-10" twist which is about perfect for your rifle. All the 270's I e had built have 1-10" barrels and they do great with my favorite bullet the 150ablr

Consider this. My 6.5x06 24" Bbl, 1/8 twist. It drives the Nosler 140 AB ( BC .509 ) at 3075fps with no strain, using Rel 26. You can do the math on drop at various ranges. I have found 400yds to be a putt shot with this load. Exact same ballistics as the 6.5 PRC. So, 90 & 100gr bullets for varmints, tougher more robust bullets ( 120,130, 140 etc ) for heavier game. This rifle has taken numerous deer ( mature muley's ) & elk with 120 to 125 gr mono's. . The many different brands ( Barnes, Badlands Precision, Hammer, etc ) of copper mono's has made more modest caliber's considerably more capable to take heavy game without the harsh recoil of larger cals. Also have taken many elk over the years with my old wild cat , 6.5x308 (1994 era, Barnes 120gr X ) & my later purchased 260 Rem with the 120gr TSX/TTSx. The copper mono's have made these more relaxed recoil cartridges very capable to take heavy game. Lighter recoil, I feel puts more enjoyment into squeezing the trigger. Oh , don't forget , 100g bullets like the Nosler Partition & Barnes 100gr TTSX will easily take the largest deer, again with light recoil. What's not to like. Reduced recoil, flat trajectory. To me equals, enjoyable shooting.

I'd go with a Brux #1 contour with a 1 in 8.5 twist. They have a fearherweight @ 2#, but that's too light for everything but a woods gun. Opinions are like a certain part of one's anatomy. Everybody has one.

i had my Winchester 270 feather weight done to 25-06 shilen barrel very happy.
I have a 270 Rem 700 and, if I don't swap to a .473 bolt, I will probably do 25-06... those bullets really zip!

I found this for the person that started the thread:

Long actions with a bolt face .DIA of .470 +/-
220 Swift
6mm Remington
240 Weatherby Mag
257 Roberts
25-06 Remington
6.5x55 Swedish
270 Winchester
7x57 Mauser
7x64 Brenneke
280 Remington
30/06 Springfield
8mm Mauser
338/06 A Square
35 Whelen

Cheers,

Marc

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.