270 Win For Long Range Shooting

Well thru a super secret hand shake, bribing, cajolling and other efforts i did find som 270 long rang accobonds in the nick of time for my Colorado hunt.

I took a nice muley and a 5x6 elk.

I posted a picture of the elk and he recovered bullet on theFiring Line Radio Show facebook page.

Well thru a super secret hand shake, bribing, cajolling and other efforts i did find som 270 long rang accobonds in the nick of time for my Colorado hunt.

I took a nice muley and a 5x6 elk.

I posted a picture of the elk and he recovered bullet on theFiring Line Radio Show facebook page.

Very nice. Terminal results? Recovered bullet?

Congrats on two awesome animals.

Thanks for the article, love the fact that variety of billets are coming out for the .270win. I am in the process of acquiring a .270win in a Wetherby vanguard series 2 for deer hunting in Manitoba and hope to put a custom barrel on it one day for long range hunting.

Nice article Lucas! Makes me wanna take my 270 out for a shoot! If only it wasn't raining,... and dark,... Now I'm not so sure I wanna sell that 'twin' of your rifle Ron made for me,...
270_Win_FULL_LENGTH.jpg

I gave it several coats of Duracoat,... looks pretty sharp, eh?

270_Win_Mini_Muscle.jpg

Here's the mini-muscle brake,... it kicks like a kitten,... like my 260 without the brake.

270_Win_Action.jpg

Bad pic, but I think you can see I left the jeweled bolt,... classy! :)

That's a slick lookin stick you got there, what kind of muzzle break is that? It looks like a clamp on, if so can a person get somthing like that for a sporter contour barrel? Or just heavier contours?

This is a thread for discussion of the article, 270 Win For Long Range Shooting, By Lucas Beitner. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Hi, I am new to the sight but have been long range shooting with my 270 Win. for 4 years and counting. I started out reloading with a 150 gr. Nosler ballistic tip. I was shooting out to 600 yards and my best grouping was three shots at 3 1/4". I found that there was a lot of bullet drop due to low velocities, around 2700 feet per second. I then tried loading a 130 gr. Nosler ballistic tip with more powder to increase velocity and decrease bullet drop. The groupings got larger. I am now experimenting with Hornady 110 and 130 gr. bullets. But needless to say the 270 is a long range rifle with the right loads as I saw with my first loads.

That's a slick lookin stick you got there, what kind of muzzle break is that? It looks like a clamp on, if so can a person get somthing like that for a sporter contour barrel? Or just heavier contours?

That's a "mini-muscle brake" It's threaded on the barrel. The "clamping" bolt is just to index the brake (makes install and removal easier).

Not sure weather the question is directed at me... in the article pics you will see that the rifle is scoped with a Leupold Mk 4 with M1 turrets and TMR reticle. It's a 4.5-14x50....

I have been slowly extending the reach of my Benchmark built 270. Used it in the Findlay 3 gun and made hits at 1250, 700 and 600. No joy at a mile (yet) but it has the potential. I have a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 F1 on a 20 moa base and it has enough dial left (22 mils) when zero'd at 200 yards to go to a mile without adding the reticle

This is a thread for discussion of the article, 270 Win For Long Range Shooting, By Lucas Beitner. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I have a Remington .270 WSM I would like to take it into a gunsmith to have the conversion to the removable mag clip? I called a few local gun smiths on doing this conversion and they all said for the parts alone would be $625-650 plus $200 for the install. One gunsmith told me to call the Remington to get the kit and they would do the install for $150 due to the fact its coming from the manufacture parts store and not an after market part. I have called Remington they told me that they do not make a 270 WSM with a removable mag clip! But yet I have gone into sportsman warehouse, cabal's, bass pro-shop and have looked at the Remington 270 WSM with a removable mag clip along with savage, and browning rifles. Can anyone help me find the webpage I can order or Ill just buy a new set up with a removable mag clip?

What do you think about a 300 winchester short mag for long range shooting is it as good as the 270 win and if so what is the more flater shooting of the to.

What is your apinyons ?????

Yes I have looked into the 300 WSM as well as a 7mm WSM. But for deer hunting I think they are over kill. And yes now I'm thinking of getting one of the rifles listed above do to the fact aftermarket parts are more widely available. Thank you

Lucas,

I see the thread is still going, sweet.

What type of stock and how much does it weigh? I think you mentioned that you have a Mark 4 with M1 turrets and TMR reticles.

What trigger do you have?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.