270 Win For Long Range Shooting

How about the 5R rifling? I see it was mentioned in this article (and a few others) but I don't know anyone else who have real world experience with it. I guess Remington even makes a factory 5R 700, but there again I don't know anyone who owns one.

Ron (of Benchmark) ordered the button for the faster twist .277" with "5R style" rifling. He believes it may be easier on the bullet jackets. I have had many different barrels with many different styles of rifling (land/groove configurations etc.). In general you won't notice much difference as a shooter.... I recently tested an experimental two-groove barrel for a 308 win... shoots as good as any 5r I've owned.

I never figuered out how to post a picture on this sight, but I have the next best thing. The buck I shot this year is on the Cutting Edge Bullets website!

http://site.cuttingedgebullets.com/pdf/PhillipNaman.pdf

The first with that rifle as a 270 Ackley Improved.

Once you go Ack- You'll never go back!

Congrats on a very fine harvest! I too am enjoying my .270 AI. gun)

finish-02-look-down.gif

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/how-upload-pictures-directly-your-computer-lrh-71679/

Feenix, have you tried the 165 matrix bullets? I'm getting 2950 and decent accuracy. I'm still working up a load with h4831

Yes, but while fire-forming to .270AI only. I was not looking for any accuracy but here's what I have to share thus far on the 165gr Matrix VLD ...

CCI BR2
Win Brass
58.5 gr H4831SC
X=2981 FPS (30", 1:8, 3-GR Lilja)
SD=17 FPS

2012-09-24165MatrixVLD565H1000_zpsa8390f77.jpg

3-shot group @ 100 yards

NOTE: H4831SC is ~100 FPS more than H1000 with the same amount of powder.

Good luck!

Ed

This is a thread for discussion of the article, 270 Win For Long Range Shooting, By Lucas Beitner. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

grate article
i to have used the 270 win since I've been 14, i think its a grate a Cal, for hunting and target, I've all ways hand loaded, and i Gota admin not always getting the best results but now with much more experience and some grate bullets like the 150 gr sst and Berger VLD hunting, I've worked up a load that will shoot 1 cm groups. (ive even had one group 4 in the same hole)
taken some LR deer wit it one at 250 yds and one a 281 yds with ease.
i can say it will shoot 8 cm groups at 525 yds.
and its only a Tikka t3 lite
Go the 270 win

So I am now using the 165 matrix w/60gr of H4831. 2950 FPS and accurate. I'm going to chase a few coyotes and maybe a hog or two and ill let you know the results.

I'm torn between two excellent loads the 130 gr Cutting Edge, and the 165 Matrix. I think I'll have leupold make me a CDS dial for each load.

What will I do when Nosler eventually gets their long range offerings to the market?

So I am now using the 165 matrix w/60gr of H4831. 2950 FPS and accurate. I'm going to chase a few coyotes and maybe a hog or two and ill let you know the results.

I'm torn between two excellent loads the 130 gr Cutting Edge, and the 165 Matrix. I think I'll have leupold make me a CDS dial for each load.

What will I do when Nosler eventually gets their long range offerings to the market?

Choices, choices, choices! I'd rather have choices than none ... :):D:rolleyes:gun)

Hi Lucas,

Your article was the first thing I read on LRH. I found it of great interest, thank you.

Sealsniper answered a question ,on another subject, for me a couple of months ago and I can't find it now.

You or anyone reading this may be able to answer my query.

To Wit.
I started to read a book by the sniper Swofford I believe it was,
and put it down half way through because it was too full of self promoting clap trap.

Do you or anyone know of a book I could get really straight information on the actual
"facts on the ground" of the reality of a current sniper's world?

Do you believe the reported kill distances for instance?

I am skeptical at this point and would like to hear from a no BS source to fill out my
knowledge of that world and be confident that I was getting the straight story.

Thanks Much,
Downright Dave

Since 1975 I have 70 Winchester .270 w/ 3-9 Weaver Scope

Everything on the rifle is stock.
The only adjustment was to the trigger 3.5lbs
You will never hear a negative word, from me, about this rifle
because there is nothing negative.

Only lately I have been considering changing to a more
powerful scope, but its 'so on' I hate to move anything.

~BEST~
BILL--------------------------------------->

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.