270 Win For Long Range Shooting

My opinion: anyone who thinks a 270 is not a long range rig is fooling themselves. I would not hesitate to shoot a nice buck at 800 yards with my 150VLD load.

Thanks for the article! I enjoyed the read. Love the ol' 270! Most of my early hunting memories involve the 270. It's also the first caliber I took to long range. I've taken game to 750 with it, and wouldn't hesitate to push it further.

I've been daydreaming of a 270AI myself. It'd be a wonderful way to keep the 270 mild mannered and get a lot of performance.

Great article, I just put a 270 togther for my girlfriend, and she is shooting it quite well. I am using the 140 accubond and she is cosistantly ringing the bell at 1000 with it. but when it comes to live game she has a strict limit of 700 yds on deer and 500 on elk. I just dont believe the round has it in it much past that. and I too also enjoy the high buck hunt in washington, I have done pretty well over the years and Im going to be introducing my girlfriend to it this year. september cant get here soon enough.:)

My opinion: anyone who thinks a 270 is not a long range rig is fooling themselves. I would not hesitate to shoot a nice buck at 800 yards with my 150VLD load.

Shoot "at" him, you mean. Perhaps you don't care if you merely wound him, to be found by someone eventually. How about 1000 yards? !200? At what point would you pass up the shot and why?

Shoot "at" him, you mean. Perhaps you don't care if you merely wound him, to be found by someone eventually. How about 1000 yards? !200? At what point would you pass up the shot and why?

No, 800 yards is my effective range where I'm comfortable, no further with that rifle. By the way, I'll do a search later and see if you posted similar comments to other members where they took game at similar ranges or further. If you didn't then I'll ask why you chose my post. Is it the 270 or the distance or the combo?

I've seen a lot more game wounded with bigger guns and bigger bullets at much shorter distances. Same with muzzleloaders and shotguns and a handful of archery attempts where the animal was not found.

With the combo I mentioned, if I had a deer I wanted to shoot "at" and conditions were good but it exceeded 800 yards, I'd try to hunt closer until I felt comfortable with the range and set up. Everything would have to be right for me and within my comfort zone. No, I would not shoot 1000 or 1200 yards.

Last edited:
You may be proficient at that range, but there are lots of things that can throw you off, especially with that light bullet. Hope you know the exact distance, elevation change, and that there is no wind to account for. Otherwise you are underclubbing. Did you check my other posts? Not sure I have heard anyone else be quite so smug and cocky about their prowess. Your turn, cowboy.

You may be proficient at that range, but there are lots of things that can throw you off, especially with that light bullet.
I agree.

Hope you know the exact distance, elevation change, and that there is no wind to account for.
Yes, I would use the appropriate equipment for that

Otherwise you are underclubbing.
I disagree.

Did you check my other posts? Not sure I have heard anyone else be quite so smug and cocky about their prowess. Your turn, cowboy.
I did. And you over-interpreted my post. I'm comfortable to 800 yards with that combo. I know what it will do. And I did qualify that everything would have to be right for me and be in my comfort zone. There's a difference between cocky and confidence. I have none of the former but a comfortable degree of the latter. Good luck and good hunting.

I must admit that you may well be better equipped than some dude with a .338 Lapua who doesn't know what the heck he is doing. Still, wind drift is something you can't accurately account for and your round is pretty susceptible to that variance. No harm done here. Good luck in your hunting; I'm hunting only in my mind anymore. Hey, Berger just announced a new bullet for you that will give you a big performance boost.

Jimbo, every now and then we get randomly blessed with a rifle that is simply a shooter with good loads. This 270 happens to be one of those rifles and I knew I had something special when I first tried the Berger 150 and could only see one hole at 100 yards and a "dot" at 200 at the range.

Tested further distances on a 330 acre farm in KY where I hunt and it was quite windy on some of those days. Berger bullets really impressed me with those VLD designs.

The rifle can perform so much better than me but it was one of 3 rifles that boosted my confidence level. The other was my 30.06 with 200 AB bullets I worked up for a bear hunt in BC and finally my 7mag with 150 Btips.

Never cocky, just try to keep my chin up. :D

Just so happens, the rifles I own are .223 Rem, .270, 30.06, 7mm Rem Mag, and 8X57 JS. Sounds like we are thinking along the same lines. I must say the .270 will now offer it all, in my book. I have it in Rem 700 composite camo and stainless and it has never been shot. Need to get you to shoot it for me! Case you're wondering, I live In Texas-no public hunting and leases are pathetically over priced.

Mine was built by the former owner of Broughton barrels which is also the bbl it wears, obviously. Trued 700 action in a Jim Borden Rimrock stock. Factory trigger at 2 pounds. Has a decelerator pad also. I sent the stock to MGArms for a paint job.

This rifle is a pleasure to shoot as it shoots everything I've put through it under an inch. I can take the 140 Accubonds over H1000, 150 Btips over H4831SC, 150 VLDs over IMR4350, 130 Nosler solid base over Re22...they all shoot very well.

As a shout-out to Greg, the former owner of Broughton bbls, we've had some great discussions over rifle accuracy, quality barrels, etc. He said he was fortunate to have some buttons that created some real shooters, like his 3 groove 7mm button.

There is no shortage of great riflesmiths, but I am truly saddened that he retired and I cannot convince him to put anything else together for me. And he will not sell any of his remaining 7mm bbls., let alone any caliber.

For what it's worth, overbore or not, the 270 is in no way lacking in accuracy potential to it's big brother, the 30.06. I've had easier, shorter range times with all of the 270s I've ever worked with compared to any of the 308s or 30.06s.

It's why I have two 270s in the safe and 2 more on the way. I'm the big dude on the left in the white hat, and this is my 270:

TimberWolfDogKiller2009003.jpg

So, that is pure wolf? Was this taken near your home? I'm jealous. Figured you to be older...........like me.

So, that is pure wolf? Was this taken near your home? I'm jealous. Figured you to be older...........like me.

No sir, you were 23 when I was born!

Real wolf, taken in northern Ontario. It was named the "dog eater" as our outfitter had just received a call that morning that this lone wolf had killed a lady's dog and took it off into the forest for breakfast. The guy in the pic with me put this wolf down after a good 2 hour chase in the snow.

I put mine down with my 30.06 that I also took on the hunt. I always take 2 rifles on any trip and switch them out. Here's my wolf pup and 30.06:

100_0245.jpg

And here's my buddy Norm with his big old dog he shot with his brand new custom 270:

2-24-2009-145.jpg

2-24-2009-154.jpg

A good morning to put wolves down:

0901_048.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.