.270 win. flat primers. high pressure???

"boomtube -- I knew that would get somebody's panties in a bunch saying that federal brass is junk."

Oh, it's something much different; I find your childish expert evaluation of Federal brass to be amusing! :D

As are the rest of your questions about irrelivant details of Robert's situation. :rolleyes:

Haven't been reloading long, have you? Don't sweat it, you'll learn.

I had the same problem in a savage 25-06 using win primers. I have always used remingtons and if i could not find them used cci untill the shortage. The win primers would flaten with the same loads used before and i backed off the load but they always flattened. I finally got my remmys back and the flattening is gone. I assume i got some primers with softer metal is all i can think of. From wht i have always read and heard going by " only" flattenin primers can be pretty deceiving without other high pressure signs as well.

Well we better let booomtube fix the problem since he has 45+ years of experience of reloading. I was trying to help the man and in earlier post you said I was right on so what is it right or wrong. boomtube you sound like you need to go to the greybeard forumn you'll fit right in there!! Anyways robertjr
I like the idea in an earlier post about changing brands of primers but that is up to you. Have you had the throat of that barrel checked. A severly dirty copper or powder fouled throat can cause pressure signs also. Check and see where your c.o.l. is and if your getting close to the lans that will create pressure also.

"boomtube -- I knew that would get somebody's panties in a bunch saying that federal brass is junk."

Oh, it's something much different; I find your childish expert evaluation of Federal brass to be amusing! :D

As are the rest of your questions about irrelivant details of Robert's situation. :rolleyes:

Haven't been reloading long, have you? Don't sweat it, you'll learn.

Boomtube
I think its kind of funny that your so offended by a young punk like myself with oh I would say 20 years of experience reloading everything as you've done. An opinion is an opinion you don't have to agree with it but don't knock it. I load alot of federral components just not the brass or shotgun hulls. And if you want to get technical about experience in the reloading field then go ahead but I have probably loaded more shotgun shells and shot more shotgun than most people your age and probably more rifle also but that doesn't make me an expert. So leave it at that and try to help the guy out.
lightbulb

Well we better let booomtube fix the problem since he has 45+ years of experience of reloading. I was trying to help the man and in earlier post you said I was right on so what is it right or wrong. boomtube you sound like you need to go to the greybeard forumn you'll fit right in there!! Anyways robertjr
I like the idea in an earlier post about changing brands of primers but that is up to you. Have you had the throat of that barrel checked. A severly dirty copper or powder fouled throat can cause pressure signs also. Check and see where your c.o.l. is and if your getting close to the lans that will create pressure also.
yea i agree about the primer change so i loaded some bullets up with some br2 primers to see if it is still gonna make a flat primer but untill i shoot next time i wont be able to tell and also i am trying some new bullets so that might change it i am useing some barns ttsx bullets to see what they do

Just curious if anyone has an opinion or knows for sure, the amount of chamber pressure required ( in a .270 Win. with a 130 grain FBSP bullet ) to make brass flow into every crevice of the bolt face upon firing, and of course destroy the factory extractor and require delicate chiseling to remove the molded in brass.......?

Gibbsfan,
Tell me if I understand why you suspected a possible headspace problem as the culprit. Is this right:

- With excess headspace, at the firing pin strike, the case is pushed forward against the chamber shoulder.
- As the powder charge detonates, the case begins to expand to grip the chamber.
- At the same time, the pressure in the case starts to back out the primer from its pocket towards the bolt face.
- The pressure also pushes back on the aft portion of the case and presses the case head against the bolt face (the action that over time creates case head separations when excess headspace exists).
- But because the primer got backed out just a little ahead of the case head being thrust back, it hits the bolt face first and is then "anviled" over just a bit as the case head also bottoms onto the bolt face, making it look extremely flattened.

I have seen what looked like this on others' loads that were mild in pressure, and it makes sense to me that this would happen. And it would happen on both factory and handloads, unless the sizing die was backed off enough to ensure no shoulder setback on the second firing. Is that why you suggested the OP do a load neck-sized only?

Does this make sense to anyone else?

Thanks, and good luck to the OP with the investigation. Make sure your sizing dies is backed off the thickness of a penny or so from the shellholder for a few cases and see if that fixes the problem. In a firing or two you'll have to screw it back down in tiny increments until your fired cases will just chamber with the slightest resistance, and then it'll be set just right.

Rex